• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help in OC system for first time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KVWire

The last of my components for my new system are arriving Tuesday. You should be able to see my system specs below in the sig. Could I get input for the steps I take to OC? It's been a few years since I OCed my PIII.

1. Load Win XP Pro
2. Update Win
3. Setup network/internet access
4. Load Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
5. Load Asus temp monitor (or MBM?)
6. Make sure Ram is set at 2-3-2-6
7. Lock AGP and PCI
8. Increase fsb to 230, check for stability
9. Increase fsb to 250, check for stability
10.Increase fsb to 260, change memory to 5:4, check for stability

The whole time I'm checking temp as well.

Do I setup Intel Chipset Software before or after updating Windows? Steps 8 - 10 seem rather simplisitic. Is there more to do there? What happens if I go to far too fast?

Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how far I get.

KV

I've gone to far... and found that just a simple power down for a min and then power up will allow you to get back into the bios. I went as far as 295 when doing this and then went back down to 290.

I'll have to try that, if I need to. I've done the inf file twice this week and it's worked both time.

295 fsb, I wish I was there.

KV

The issue I have right now is finding a decent Ram to keep up with the FSB. I'm running GeIL PC3200 Value Ram 512MB and its at a 5:4 Ratio. When FSB is at 290.

Back