• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wb top cracked... leaked into gpu slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poMONKey

leak into gpu slot!!!

vid card started tweaking... looked and there was a puddle on it. turn the rig off and pulled the card and emptied the system... turned out it had sucked up into the gpu slot. i blew a lot of water and water wetter out from behind that slot... my vid card had some greenish corrosion on the connectors that i wiped off with alcohol...

should i try and clean the motherboard ( gpu slot ) somehow and let everything dry? didnt seem like anything shorted out...

arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh... TIA!

Last edited:
yeah id let it dry out for a few days and make sure its dry. If you reuse it while it wet you could cause damage.

Ya, try and clean it a lil and wait for it to dry. Make sure its dry though! lol It may take a while.

Hopefully nothing is perminently damaged.

im more worried about the water wetter than the water... nothing popped or turned off... the vid card just couldnt work and it showed! pretty colors...

theres really no way to get into the gpu slot and clean that gookie ***** out, tho... right?? how do i get that crap off the connectors?????????

I'd just let air get to it and let it sit... Point a fan at it to speed up the process a bit. I would leave it sit over night and check in the morning for any signs of moisture.

cool... but what about the tubing and rad and the rest of the water system... can i just leave that out all night? wont it dry and leave yucky residue on everything?????????

Scrub what you can and wipe with alcohol. Let it sit with a fan blowing at it for a day until it complete dries. This is what I did to mine when I had a user induced leak :p. BTW what wb was it?

It would be pretty difficult to get the tubings to dry as well... What I would do is just rinse out the system with water couple of times or until water comes out clear then refill the system

maybe a vingar wash or something for the system tomorrow...

thanks for the help, guys! just dont scare me and say: " i feel bad for you man"...;) :p

poMONKey said:
maybe a vingar wash or something for the system tomorrow...

thanks for the help, guys! just dont scare me and say: " i feel bad for you man"...;) :p

vinegar wash????? wouldnt that kindda be stinky? hahah i wouldnt do it tho just because i would faint from the smell haha Plenty of water will do i guess

didnt mean to scare you tho i mean if that happened to me id have a heart attack :eek: or something haha

no, dont use vinegar, give it a rubbing alcohol bath. dry it off good and fast though, you should be ok. May I ask what waterblock it was and if you did anything to it?(change barbs, tighten them or anything to that extent)

-EDIT- I should probably add that its happened to me a few times(dousing the computer) one time I got condensation on my mobo while running, others its been off when it got wet. just make sure you let it dry for at least a day.

Jon

The same thing happened to me when my "ICE IN RESEVOIR" cooling system did not turn out.

Water leaked on the back side of the gpu, inside the agp slot, and some on the motherboard.

I also noticed that green stuff on the back of the gpu.

Anyway, I didnt lose anything. good chance you wont lose anything.

was that your cascade that leaked? I feel sorry for you, too, but hopefully you can get everything working normally again.

Lammy said:
The same thing happened to me when my "ICE IN RESEVOIR" cooling system did not turn out.

Water leaked on the back side of the gpu, inside the agp slot, and some on the motherboard.

I also noticed that green stuff on the back of the gpu.

Anyway, I didnt lose anything. good chance you wont lose anything.

thats good to hear! seems hardware isnt as fragile ( crosses fingers ) as it seems... :)

Distilled water still has free ions... which means it can still conduct. Both distilled and average tap water are only weak conductors... I'm sure the water being distilled didn't hurt any though.

IMOG said:
Distilled water still has free ions... which means it can still conduct. Both distilled and average tap water are only weak conductors... I'm sure the water being distilled didn't hurt any though.

I thought pure water (h2o) is a VERY weak conductor where as tap water conducts electricty very well because of many many ions in it... Isn't that why we all use distilled water? correct me if im wrong

Back