• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

How many fittings do you guys think i should get is necessary before i start attaching my WC'ing setup together? Also is it better to have those plastic ones or copper/brass ones? Thanks.

Brass barbs/fittings wont crack, plastic barbs/fittings wont corrode. Take your pic.

What type of configuration are you planning on using?

fittings = flow loss, you want as few fittings as possible, and no right angle turns if at all possible. if you get fittings that have the same inside diameter of your tubing, you can heat the end of the tube to fit it over the fittings and you will have less flow restriction.

We need more information. The basic answer is this: You need enough fittings to join your hoses to your cooling blocks, pumps, res, radiator, and any other components. Beyond that, 1 or 2 T fittings are recommended, and finally a T-Line Cap for each T-Line you choose to use.

Hopefully all of your components will come with the necessary fittings, but I'm assuming you're asking this because you're wanting to build it all yourself. Design first, ask us for our opinions to see if you forgot anything, then purchase components. It'll go much more smoothly.

Also, I would highly recommend brass fittings for all of the waterblocks and radiator(s). Plastic fittings are usually good for the pump, as the pump housing is plastic and brass barbs are really good for cracking them. Plastic Y's and T's are just fine, since they will see virtually no stress.

When I say plastic, I'm usually recommending Nylon. Hope this helps.

If brass fittings won't do, try those molded from HDPE ... they are pretty tough and don't degrade as quickly as some Nylon ones do. Polypropylene are good too, but tend to cost a bit more. Look at USPlastic.com ... good supplier and good info. Good luck.

KK

2 T fittings make it a little easier to fill and bleed the system. I like to have one at the intake to my pump so it primes quickly and another T somewhere high in the system to aid in bleeding. It just speeds things up a little, but it's not necessary.

Originally posted by squeakygeek
I don't think you'd have to worry about brass corroding.

McMaster has a good explaination on the properties of different metals used in plumbing. Brass is pretty corrosion reistant and it grips a whole lot better than chrome. (I now hate chrome)

As for my 2 cents. I'd get the push-on brass barbs from mcmaster.com on page 218. I almost had to cut the tubing off of them.

Back