• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WW, The Y , GPU, and Chipset Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Void425

Registered
The Instructions for the WW Block say:

"Use the supplied Y-piece connector to merge the two outlet barb flows back into a single outlet flow. Ensure that even lengths of tubing are used between each outlet barb and the Y-piece, about 10-15cm is usually adequate."

I am assuming this is because you want equal pressure coming from both outlets of the CPU Block when you use the Y to connect them back together. What would happen if they are unequal by either using a 30cm tube on one outlet....and a 5 cm tube on the other then you Y them together?

If pressure equality of the two outlets make a diffence when you Y them together....is it bad to have one outlet going to the GPU...and the other outlet going to the chipset....and then you Y them back together?

Below is an example with numbers ( The numbers used are not true reading...just used for my example):

You have 300gph going into the CPU inlet, Lets say each outlet then produces 130gph. If you Y them after equal distance the pressure will be equal like it should be in the instructions. But if you continue without the Y you will then have 130 into the GPU with and output of 120gph. While the other line of the chipset would be 130gph intake, yet may yeild a 100gph output. In effect if you use the Y now after going to the GPU and Chipset you will be in effect mergring two unequal pressures 120 and 100 at the Y . This in effect is not equalized like the original instructions.

Is it best to merge after the CPU then hit the GPU and Chipset in line...or use the two outlets individually even though when merging it may be a differ pressure?

You should connect the outlets back together with the Y as recommended. Not doing this will disrupt the flow inside the block, and temperatures could likely suffer.

I think you've got a fundamental misunderstanding... If you have 300 GPH going into the inlet of the WW, you HAVE to have a total of 300 GPH exiting. Otherwise, you are storing water in your CPU WB. WBs do not like to get bloated. :)

Now, what you are probably referring to is the fact that there is a pressure drop across a WB (and tubing, too.)

Are you familiar with electronics? There are direct correlations between water flow and electricity. Pressure:Voltage, Flow:Current, Resistance:Friction. Does this make sense?

Now to answer your question. There is no definitive answer. The most common solution is to run everything in series, so each waterblock receives the same flow. However, in certain cases you can achieve better performance with selected blocks in parallel. My best advice to you is to start with a series setup, and then try parallel later on down the road. Document everything and report back to us with which works better for your setup.

Good luck!

Your right Neomoses, I should be using pressure and flowrate rather then GPH. The pressure should be the same on both sides where it goes into the Y to keep the flowrate on both sides equal.

Back