• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2-199 heater core mod for single pass

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omaticrail

2-199 heater core mod for single pass?

OK, I would not recommend buying the 2-199 (Caprice) so that you could then turn around and modify it to be like the 2-342(?), but since I already own one, it may become an issue.

So, has anybody modified a 2-199 to be a single pass? I can think of 2-3 ways to do it, but I'm not overjoyed with any of them. If you've done it, post pics!

I don't have one handy, but it's the same core that GibletPlus uses. His pics are on the forum in various places. I can post one after I get home from work.

2-199.jpg

Are there enough benefits to make it worth the hassle of modding a 2-199?

Suma said:
Can you give me a high resolution pic of the core?

I can see where this one's going....:D

And for an idea (maybe mine origionally even). Why not just add an outlet barb on the bottom tank for the pump to draw from, and then use both of the top barbs as inlets, even hooking up both the barbs on a WhiteWater or other dual outlet block.
Then you'd have great flow through the radiator, and get rid of the 'Y' fitting to boot.

Just a thought, I tend to have 'em once in a great while.

Hey Diggrr, that's a rockin' idea. For those that asked, here are the high res photos:

Dscn0848.jpg

Dscn0849.jpg

Sorry, this next one didn't focus well, so I just did a small version.
Dscn0850.jpg

Giblet Plus! said:
You could mod it, but the bottom tank is pretty thin.

Use a piece of 3/4" tubing, squooshed <(technical term) flat to 1/4" across ID, then dremel a corresponding slot in the core's tank. Solder/JBWeld to your heart's content.
Good flow and a larger intake to your pump....

If you'd like a hose barb on the tube, just solder on a ferule (the brass ring in a compression fitting, available seperately).

Its an awesome idea to mod a caprice to run like a single-pass but remember if you already have restrictive blocks (pin-design and jet design) you won't benefit much from it as the restriction in block is so much greater than your double-pass cores. This also applies if you have 3 different WBs running...

Back