• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q about airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{BC}Helix

when i was buying fans for my rad i went with with the cheapest ones i culd get my hands on, i needed 4 of them and i didn't want to spend 60 bucks on "good" fans. the fans i got are rated at 69.15CFM, 29.29dB, 2400RPM. now, when i first built my own shroud made out fo plexy, it really didn't leave alot of room for the air to "spread out", as a shroud is meant to do. i figured out that the air was only touching %44.15 of the heater core with the current setup i had going, so i then of cource realized that i could get much better cooling if i spread out the air more from %44 coverage to maybe something like %90. well since i didn't feel like or had the room in my case to make a shround i tried the best i could using what options i had with my current externial setup. pics below...

here is the "back" of the externial container, i tried to put the fans as far away from the HC asi could as to even out the airflow

backside.jpg

here is one of the inside where you can see the green fans that would push the air inside the container perpendicular to the HC, i really had no other options as to where to put the fans, as my RES is right in front of it. or a way to mount the fans there for that matter

inside5t.jpg

here's a pic with the top on, shows you the distance away from the HC that the fans are.

topside.jpg

now, the big question is, will there be enough airflow through the heatercore if i run the 4 fans at 6 volts which, i'm guessing, would bring the CFM down by half to something like 35 CFM x 2 "sets" of fans brings the air through the HC to 70CFM as opposed to 140CFM at 12 volts. will that be enough air flow to sufficiently cool a XP 2400 and a nForce 2 chipset at a burning hot 250MHz???

That should be OK. What you should do is this; make the box airtight, with only openings for the rad and the fans. If you put 2 fans on the opposite end of the rad sucking OUT of the box, air MUST be drawn in through the rads if the box is airtight. You could also have fans on the top sucking out as well. This would be a better solution than what you have now.

ok i see what you mean, just seal up the box and reverse the air flow of what i have now. make the 2 in the back push in and the two on the top blow out. i see...

{BC}Helix said:
ok i see what you mean, just seal up the box and reverse the air flow of what i have now. make the 2 in the back push in and the two on the top blow out. i see...
If you do it with the airtight box, ALL fans should be sucking or exhausting OUT of the box. This will bring fresh air in through the opening at the rad, the air must flow through the rad with this setup.

Back