• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

18.99 heater core, is it any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

Anyone use either of these cores?

(these are the same)
-Ford Galaxie, Custom 500 : W/O AC: 1967-65
-Mercury Monterey : W/O AC: 1967-66

They are $18.99

The Chevette seems to get a lot of priase but it goes for $21.99 and is actually 1.5 inches shorter and 1/2 an inch thinner.

Any advice or suggestions? Some possible reasons why these dimensions might not be better is they might restrict airflow in a manner that effects performance. This is probably a shot in the dark that someone has used both the chevette and ford, but worth asking.

Hey there BigSmokey,

I believe the Chevette HC gets so many good comments because of its dimensions for in-case cooling. I have the Chevette HC in my Chieftec mid-tower case. As it is I had to remove the lower hard drive cage to accomodate the Chevette HC. If the HC were any taller I would have to give up both har drive cages.

You can tak a look at my setup over at my web page if you would like:
http://webpages.charter.net/jim-decker/WaterCooled.htm

Via Aqua 1300
DD Maze 3
86 Chevette Heater Core
1/2" ID Clearflex 60

Thats exactly why we like the chevette core, its 6X6 fin area makes it just small enough for the bottom front while keeping a 3.5 drive cage installed there. I have a jeep core that is 6X8 cooling area. It does work a bit better, but i like the location of the chevette core and i couldn't fit the bigger core there.

J. :D

Yeah having the small height of the 'vette core is a blessing, not a curse. If you're going to go big go all the way and get a Caprice core like Giblet Plus! has so you can use two 120mm's. I've got a Mustang core and it's bigger than one 120mm fan (and so my case required extensive modding) but not nearly big enough to warrant two 120's. I'm going with one 120mm fan and a lot of wasted space for now but when my new shrouds are made I'll be using twinned 92's on each side (push-pull) but I still wish I had either gone bigger or smaller. Getting stuck in between limits your options for placement without giving you the brute cooling force a huge core would provide.

Back