• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning exterior of cathar's ww

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Node

The exterior of my block has lots of stains and ugly stuff all over it. I got some brasso and applied it according to the instructions but it didn't really help at all.

How do you people make your brass all nice and shiny-mirror like, and how should I treat the part that touches the CPU?

Thanks

Should I do anything like let the ketchup sit for a certain amount of time?

I'm not sure how long but when I cleaned an old sk6 I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it cleaned up pretty well.

If brasso isn't working for you that well, ketchup probably won't be much better.

Start off with some 0000 steel wool to clean up the outside. It'll work very quick. Also, Scotch-Brite works very well. Then finish with the brasso for more of a shine.

Hope it helps!

NeoMoses said:
Also, Scotch-Brite works very well. Then finish with the brasso for more of a shine.

Actually that is exactly what was done to polish the tops prior to shipping for the WW's by me. Scotch-Brite followed up by some Brasso. All done while wearing latex gloves to avoid skin oils causing the copper to tarnish before it arrived.

Ketchup does work. A half hour's soak works fine. I tried it tonight, and it cleaned the block very well.
Kraft cocktail sauce works too, the horseradish will mask the taste of the copper afterwards....:D
Use it on the cpu contact area too. No worries.

vinegar also works well as I used it to clean some mineral diposits on the water control valve of my water heater.

Back