• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corosion/ Water Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rxtrom

I was testing my new setup and after a day the water was really warm (i was just testing so no fan on heatercore) i figured that could be because i had no fan and the pump was kinda hot (maxi jet 1200) and way i have a white film everywhere; inside my hoses, pump, fittings. I was wondering if it is a reaction of heat, hard water, and maybe the copper. Also why is my water so warm, and should i use distilled water? Thanks again

your water will get quite warm if you just have a pump going with no radiator. That's the amount of heat your pump adds to the water. (That's why increasing pump size doesn't always decrease temps... but that's for another thread)

If you just used tap water in your system, please drain it and use distilled water. You're just asking for problems by using tapwater. Did you happen to use water wetter? It's notorious for leaving a nasty film on every surface.

My recommendations are to use distilled water and Dex-Cool antifreeze. If you have dissimilar metals in your system, even anodized aluminum, use 25% dex-cool for corrosion protection. If you have an all copper/brass system, 10% dexcool should be fine.

Hope it helps!

Cool thanks, my system is a chevette heatrcore and a maze 4 block copper, where do i find dexcool, is it a antifreeze? and what about like a accuclear or something, also something to make it blue? Thanks again

I use Purple Ice myself. In every article I have read it seems to be the best at what it does, which is help prevent corrosion. The other nice thing is this chemical, which supposedly treats the metal allowing it to draw more heat from the water. I cannot say if it works or not, but in the end, its better than Water Whetter and anything else I have seen. PLus its purple :)

Well this tells a different story. This was taken off Dteks site, and I have seen the same at other sites as well.

Extensive testing has confirmed Purple Ice™ to reduce coolant temperatures up to 10%. Formulated to reduce the surface tension of the coolant, which allows penetration of the porous metal surfaces at vital heat transfer areas of the cooling system to lower operating temperature. Purple Ice™ can be used with straight water as well as coolant/ water concentrations and is compatible with conventional antifreeze. Purple Ice™ contains the exclusive ingredient Molybdate, which prevents corrosion and erosion of the soft metals in the cooling system. Purple Ice™ contains corrosion inhibitors and is the ONLY coolant additive on the market that passes ASTM D-2570 Simulated Service Corrosion Tests in a straight water mixture

ALSO, I have been using a Purple Ice/ Distilled Water combination in my second rig for over three years now, no corrosion present.

Purple Ice does sound pretty impressive, I did read both reviews i am torn between. Where can i find these products? autozone?

If you can find it at the auto shop you will get it cheaper. ;)

It appears you are right CGR, I was going by the page I linked to which lists PI as not being anticorrosive. This is straight from the company that makes PI:

http://www.royalpurple.com/prpice/prpice.shtml

However PI doesn't treat the metal to make it absorb heat better, PI treats the water. All the same in the end. ;)

Back