• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slime mold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
When I get my system together and actually use it to cool my computer, I play to use a 10% antifreeze mix. But for testing, I had 100% regular old tap water. After ahwile I had some slime mold build up, and my mom suggested soaking the stuff in bleach water for 10 minutes then flushing. It seemed to work ok on the tubing, and I did it on my radiator, but would it be ok to do the same to my pump? I know it's bad to use it as coolant, but it's only a 10 minute soak. I have a Via Powerhead 4900.

[edit] That "play" in the first line or so should be "plan". Freudian slip? [/edit]

I dont know if bleach would be a good idea. Wouldnt that possibly dry out the rubber over time?

Edit: i know its only ten minutes, but i would think it would shorten the life of the seals.

Edit2: and possibly dry out the plastic some. making it more brittle?

Last edited:
Is it H2O2? hmm...

Hydrogen Peroxide is that stuff you put on wounds to kill the bacteria. It usually comes in a brown plastic bottle.

Empty your system, add some water, and then add some of this stuff to the system. It will foam up around the bacteria, kill it, and then wash away.

Haven't heard any stories of it hurting anything. Heck you use the stuff as mouthwash!

Flush your system out again, fill with water, and then add soemthing like antifreeze to it to prevent this from happeneing in the future.

If you use H2O2 then make sure you just soak it, if you add it to your system it will buble up and ooze out of your seals.

If you want to clean your system without taking it apart i would recond 91% isopropyl alchohol. you can buy this for cheap at your pharmacy

Back