• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Log* - Cascade/Maze Hybrid Creation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cupidr17

I have been fiddling around with the idea of a Cascade/Maze Hybrid block and came up with this. The maze and cup designs are both borrowed (Cups = Cathar, Maze = WinFlex so give credit to them) Anyway, I finally got off of my butt to draw the baseplate up in AutoCAD. This is anything but the final designs, but I decided to give you guys a couple of specs on the block in hopes that you guys will give it some things to improve on before it's actually sent to a factory to be milled.

waterblock1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/cupidr1706/waterblock1.gif

Dimensions: 3.5"w x 2.3"h
Thickness: 0.15"
Cup Diameter: 0.04"
Cup depth: 0.02"
Thickness from top of cup to bottom of baseplate: 0.05"
Channel Width: 0.15"
Wall Width: 0.78"
O-Ring Width/Depth: 0.039"

I'm gonna work on the middle jet-plate later. How far away should the jets be from the bottom of the cup? Any input, suggestions, ideas on this block will be greatly appreciated.

Geocities dosen't host pics off their web space ;) If you would like me to hot it for you (as I would love to see the block anyway) I will do so just send me a PM

Interesting design, I'd be curious to see how it does. Not really sure what the maze will gain ya as its away from the die. I'll host the pic for ya btw. If ya wanna use it on any other boards, feel free. The guys at procooling would probably find it interesting too.

waterblock1.gif

peace.
unloaded

looks cool, but maybe cut the maze length down by half or all together. get that water out... think of accelerating the water as it enters and leaves, rather than detaining it.

Looks like it will be a good "all purpose" block for cooling both pelts and CPUs. Good luck with it. Do you plan on actually building one of these?

Thanks Stedeman for offering and thanks to Unloaded for actually hosting. Very appreciated.

yes i do plan on building one should i have access to the resources. If any of you want to take on the task, feel free to PM me and I'll send over some CAD files when I'm done with the final
design (i just ask that you make a block for me as well =) I know the maze is a little useless, but I did keep in mind those who pelt cool or those who have an intel chip and dont take off the cpu cover.

Any suggesstions on specific dimensions? i.e. base thickness, cup size. How about a name for this sucka?

The Swastika? Heheh
Anyways, it goes the opposite direction.
Theres nothing wrong with naming it that just because of its Nazi affiliation. Even U.S. Military units used it as a emblem before they joined the war.

Important thing with cascade-styl block is to guarantee good water removal. It needs to go into cups and then to go out of them and away fast, in othre case it will remain in cups and spoil whole effect.

So unless jet design is very tricky, part with "flow out" should be possibly unrestrictive.

nice idea but as other have said the water will be in there for to long, maybe make the maze less complex, but have bigger space for the water to flow.

what if i took out the cups and added pin fins? I was thinking about white water channels but then water would travel left and right, and wouldnt go into the channels that are on the top and bottom.

why not just do a spiral design like the gemini blocks. I was thinking this would work well myself, and was actually thinking of creating a post about it. The jets for die cooling, and spiral for pelt cooling. Id assume the spiral is less restrictive then a maze.

I still wait to see pics of spiral #rotor block.
I told some ppl about this solution, but so far no data recieved about successes / fails...

I will draw up a cascade/spiral and a rotor/spiral within the next week and see what you guys think about it. I have decided that the first design above would probably be very difficult to machine as would any block that uses the cascade technology.

I took a look at the rotor style blocks and they look VERY easy to machine, almost even "drill-pressable"..lol..so more than likely, ill be designing a rotor/channel hybrid.

(looking in waterbock gallery to gather ideas)

You guys have any other ideas? Just give em to me and I'll draw them up.

Back