• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max P4 for TH7II?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LarryJoe

Hey fellas,

Been out of it for a while. Don't mean to be lazy, but what is the fastest P4 that the TH7II can run default AND what would be the best overclocker these days? I am running a P4 [email protected]. I can't remember the stepping, but it was the second gen of the 100fsb 2.0's. Is there something out there worthwhile?

Thanks!

I beleive that the TH7II supports only 400Mhz FSB processors, and therefor is limited to only the P4 chips which run at 400mhz
Two chips which come to mind that overclock decently are the 1.8 and the 2.4.
Do a quick search on these forums to check out which will overclock to your needs.
If you wanted anything faster, youd have to upgrade your motherboard to a 800/533 mhz FSB board.

You did tho get a good overclock with your 2.0 so i dont know if youd only want to upgrade the chip
might be better off going with a new board/chip/mem

raven

you can run 533 mhz fsb chips on it. just have to set the ram to 300X in the bios and up the fsb to 133. so a 3.06 P4 is possible. I have only tried a 2.26 though, which does 2.8 in it because of the lower multi, the ram cant take it

I wouldn't bother getting another CPU unless you do a mobo upgrade too. Of course, that means different RAM too.

Thanks all. This is what I thought.

Batboy, I see you have made the switch. I think I'll hang on to this combo until speeds reach 4ghz.

Joe

I had money to burn and wanted to upgrade regardless of the cost. My new system does out-perform my old TH7-II/RDRAM system, but you basically have to start from scratch. The RDRAM still has good memory bandwidth, certainly still better than single channel DDR systems (but not better than dual channel DDR). Your system is still pretty good, better than lots of systems out there. I'd hang on to your rig until you get to the point you want to upgrade the whole system. You won't be happy with just a simple CPU upgrade.

I agree with what you said batboy. I still have my TH7II setup with the classic 1.6A northy at 2.53Ghz for 2 years strong.

Anyways... the person would be better off saving up for a new system like I did. Turns out the new system was about 150 dollars cheaper and about 2x faster. Haha.

BTW, what ratio are you running your memory at for that 2.8C? I am running 3.5Ghz with 3:4 ratio and Corsair XMS 3500.

Jerry. I'm assuming you mean you are using the 5:4 ratio with that PC3500? If you are using the 3:4 ratio that means your RAM is at DDR665 which is impossible. I'm currently using the 1:1 ratio with Corsair PC4000 Pro.

Batboy I had gave you some wrong numbers.

My machine will only boot with 3:2. and gives me a total of 386mhz DDR. If I try anything at 5:4, my machine doesn't post.

Sorry Batboy I was wrong in my numbers. 3:2 is the ratio.

My bad. I feel dumb now. I guess it is time for some newer memory.

Back