• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ViaAqua barbs are too large

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsspewer

I got a Via Aqua pump and the barbs are too large to fit my 1/2" ID hose over them. How did you guys accomplish this? or are there smaller fittings that attach to the pump?

[SIZE=0.5]just a technical question..[/SIZE]

The one's that come with the pump are 3/4" barbs. You can pick up 1/2" barb X 1/2" NPT male hose barbs at just about any place that sells hardware. Use silicone sealant on the threads, and hand tighten only!..no tools required or you may split the plastic.

But really, the VA1300 isn't supposed to be mounted inline, only submerged. Says it in the manual twice, no matter what the retailer said.

Luck to ya

Hey bsspewer,

I soaked my 1/2" ID Clearflex 60 tubing in "near boiling" water for a few minutes each time I tried to stretch it over the Via barbs. It took a bit of effort, but I was finally able to stretch the Clearflex over both the stock plastic Via barbs and the stock tubes on my '86 Chevette heater core.

You can view some pictures of my setup in various stages of construction over here:

http://webpages.charter.net/jim-decker/WaterCooled.htm

If you look closely between the first set of pics and the end, you will see I switched from brass barbs back to the stock Via barbs. I could not get the brass barbs to seal.

DON'T USE BRASS BARBS INTO PLASTIC FITTINGS. You will most likely crack the plastic fittings. Use Nylon barbs which can be found at home depot.

My problem was that the threaded section on the brass barbs was too short to get enough threads into the female connection on the pump. The Via barbs have a longer threaded section with an an o-ring at the end that really sealed well.

Then I did have to seal the impeller housing with silicone since the pump is really supposed to be submerged. :)

Or is there some other difference between inline and submerged that i am missing?

Don't know, didn't have any trouble with mine.
It's in a res now because I RTFM.

ViaAqua.jpg

And cracking it is exactly why I said to use silicone sealant and no tools.

I ran mine submerged for a couple months than got rid of the res and currently run it inline. There was no difference in temps so I'm assuming the extra heat that can be dumped into the water was taken care of.

Hey Diggr,

I hear ya. I RTFM as well, but I don't have room for a decent sized res in my case. So I am running the Via in-line for now.

I am considering making an external cooling box. If I do that I will submerge the Via pump because space should not be an issue.

I read that for mine, but i figgured i don't have an "Aquarium, fountain or waterfall" so that rule doesn't apply. be careful with the impeller housing though, one of the tabs that holds it together cracked on me.

i actually got one part of the hose to stretch over one fitting. But i have to take measurements to find where to cut it and start working on the next barb.

I did try to heat the end of the hose, didn't quite work and i even got it too hot, causing the hose to begin to warp at the end.

I know about using brass barbs in plastic is bad. It's always bad to mix plastic threaded objects with metal ones. The metal will almost always cause the plastic one to crack and will never seal right. This is just learned from experience from work.

I guess i'll try using plastic FPT barbs to screw into the ones that come with the pump..

The threads on brass barbs can ruin the plastic threads making them unuseable. This can happen even if you don't overtighten or even tighten all the way in. Brass doesn't give like plastic will, BUT brass will expand if it gets warmer which can crack a pump that was never overtightened.

mamisano said:

Water seemed to be seeping from the pump, could not see the crack, just the dribble of water ;)

Finally found it after I went back to Air cooling.

yea, i was just teasing you on the "i found a crack...but couldn't see it thing"

i completely forgot about this thread..lol. I've just about put that wc setup of mine in. It's setup and running outside of my computer, i just can't put it in yet because i can't be without or lose my computer anytime soon. I'll wait till i get everything done and have some breathing room, just in case something goes wrong.

Back