• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water on heatspreader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

has anyone built a waterblock that actually had the water on the heat spreader?

some sort of O ring around the perimiter of the heatspeader to make if for a snug fit, anyone thing this would work?

my though

solid copper block boored out like so

waterblock.jpg

the copper colour is copper

reen in the "o ring"
Blue is water
grey is the Pentium heater spreader

I have access to a CNC machine for the next 2 months maybe 3 so I would like to build a waterblock.

also anyone with heat dispursion formulas so I could calculate things please share

I have a few other ideas but would be way harder to draw using MS paint ;)

thanks, they seem to be MUCH deeper into waterblock building then this forum, I'll start hunting around there for help/ideas

I agree. I had to lap my IHS 6 times to get it flat. If you can take it off, go for it.

edit: I have had my IHS off, Its not that hard to do.

Last edited:
dont heat spreaders have a small hole?? that would cause water to leak inside to the core which would kill it pretty quickly

small holes?

really I was under the assumption they were coated copper blocks.. defiantly something else I have to add to my todo list when looking at this project

right now my most challenging part if figuring out how to apply pressure to the IHS since it apparently needs a fair bit of pressure to conduct heat properly

With out sealing the hole in the IHS, you would have a big leak for sure.

Edit: not just on the core! Unless you seal to the die instead of the IHS. But then you would still have water all over the die and that probably wouldnt be good.

I don't think this idea will perform well at all. I think your time with the CNC machine would be better spent making a WW or cascade type block, and removing the IHS. Think about it this way; make a waterblock with a thin aluminum base, and is completely open on the inside. No fins, no dimples, just open. Put this block directly on-die. How do you think this will perform compared to a regular waterblock? That is pretty much what you would be using. I don't think it's worth the extra risk of leakage to have a cooling option that performs worse than a cooling option with less risk of leakage.

Back