• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Danger Den RBX block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yourself

Registered
Just happened to check the site and...bam!! New CPU block! It's look very interesting...Danger Den RBX...

Self

I do like the idea of being able to personalize your block with acceleration plates...

Just wondering... did Cathar patent his idea?

I wonder how acceleration plate w/ jets will perform... Hopefully not better than Cathar's because Cathar deserves the credit for the best work

ILikeMy240sx said:
I wonder how acceleration plate w/ jets will perform... Hopefully not better than Cathar's because Cathar deserves the credit for the best work

No. If someone does better they deserve the credit. Because they obviously did something right to improve on his blocks. Pay credit, where credit is due, so then he deserves credit as the original.

9mmCensor said:

No. If someone does better they deserve the credit. Because they obviously did something right to improve on his blocks. Pay credit, where credit is due, so then he deserves credit as the original.

It would definitely be nice to see a better block than a Cascade but... putting my self in Cathar's shoes, Id be kindda ****ed if someone took my idea and it turned out to be better... just a personal thing...

ILikeMy240sx said:
I do like the idea of being able to personalize your block with acceleration plates...

Just wondering... did Cathar patent his idea?

oh give me a break, if a block performs better than Cathars im goin to buy it. Cathar is an amazing guy with amazing products but when someone else improves upon the idea, it can only get better.

quote from dangerden
Each end user can "tune" the block to best fit their system.

Let's see, it's been about 11 months since I said this:
The 'evolution' lies in what goes in the 0.3" space above the fins. What looks like an empty pocket is actually the housing for an adjustable manifold that both distributes water flow and is able to adjust water velocity throughout the block. It is this adjustable manifold that allows this block to have only 3 hose barbs rather than 6 and still have a flow pattern much like the original DB-2.

By making this manifold adjustable, you can actually "tune" this waterblock to your system, giving the water the maximum velocity:flow ratio that your pump can deliver...

Wow, it feels good that my ideas inspired others. :rolleyes: Glad to see some of my ideas coming back, though. Man, after 11 months, I thought this idea was dead. Perhaps I'll give them some advice on this, since I really have no interest in it anymore.

They learned some from my original Evo1. Continuously adjustable slots = PITA (pain in the ....)

The Evo2 had 3 interchangeable velocity plates... The RBX will have 5. Not too shabby.

However, they've overlooked 1 very important factor with the design of this waterblock. The cpu temperature variations between mountings will be larger than the variations in velocity plates. That's right, it's possible to actually improve the performance of the waterblock but increase temps because of a bad mount. No consumer wants to re-mount a WB 5-10 times to find the best possible performance after switching a Velocity plate. Let's see, 10 mountings x 5 plates = 50 re-mounts to find the best performance for your system. As I found out back when I was selling the Evo1 and Evo2, nobody wants to do this, even the hardcore overclockers!

To make this system really work for the average consumer, the velocity plate needs to be easily changed without removing the baseplate from the CPU. It's a simple design criteria that they failed to identify when designing this block.

Do I think the block will perform well? Yes, it'll be a top performer, just like the WW and the Evo3. Am I glad it's coming to the market? Yes, especially with DTek's lapse in Quality Control on the WW.

Is it the end-all, be-all of waterblocks? No, but it's one step closer.

Just some advice from an ex-waterblock manufacturer. Maybe it'll help DD or some other manufacturer.

ILikeMy240sx said:

It would definitely be nice to see a better block than a Cascade but... putting my self in Cathar's shoes, Id be kindda ****ed if someone took my idea and it turned out to be better... just a personal thing...

What I don't understand is why people here are comparing it to the Cascade?

Player0 over at liquidninjas is doing a shootout with the RBX & cascade included. Very intrigued to see how it turns out.

Player0 said:
Cascade performance at half the price. You bet yer bottom :)

:rolleyes:

Meh, was referring to the 1 input in the center, 2 outputs on the sides, but hey, you know (and have forgoten) way more than i ever will.

Back