• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tline cap necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuEagle05

Ok, i've searched the threads and there's a ton talking about that to use to cap the t-line. My question is, is it necessary? I know it'll keep water from coming out sorta, but does having a cap affect anything else.

I ask b/c when i turn my pump on the t-line water level goes down, and it goes up when the pump is turned off.

The water is also never stable, it's always jiggling around. That could just be the water flowing in the tubes or the air flow form the fans though.

Capping your tline will also help prevent evaporation. Depending on how long your tline is that could be a very important factor in only a few weeks or even days.

I've always had a T from the beginning of my watercooling, for the first few weeks I ran it without a cap on the end. I can't really say I noticed any performance difference with it closed or opened but I suppose after a while having it open could effect performance as dust and whatnot settle in it. Also assuming you're not using pure water ask yourself would you want a bunch of evaporated antifreeze/DEX COOL/Water Wetter/Zerex fumes floating around your house?

Running without a cap made me loose water faster. Still, my tubes are slightly.. Ehh.. What's that fancy word for saying that water somehow get's asorbed by a material? Anyway, I do loose some water, but even more when "uncapped"

Also, if you get a small leak, having the cap will greatly increase the time for it to drain. If tou have it uncapped, it's "free to flow" in case of a leak. If capped, it takes a lot longer.

It doesnt have to be complicated. I bought a $0.25 rubber stopper from the hardware stopper.

Yeah, i just found a marble and stuck that in there...perfect fit

I found that if the Tline is filled too high and you turn the pump off it can spurt water out the top. Solved this by not filling it to the brim, and added a small screw cap with teflon tape on it

Yes i marked on the top of the T-line which comes out the top of my case where the water level is when the pump is off and on.

just a rough guess, i'd say it goes up 1/2" when you turn the pump off

t-line cap is a good thing. w/o it i was refilling the t-line every week or two. With a cap, well i haven't since i first started this thread

Yes its approximately a half inch difference when off.

I have not had to put anymore water in y et and the level has barely changed, perhaps a small amount but barely noticeable.

ILikeMy240sx said:
Do you know approximately how much it will rise?

Im gonna go with a 1/2 barb with cap on it

mine rises about 1/2, but mine also squirts out from the pressure (thats why i have a cap on mine) even with 2" clearence, it still manages to squirt. worst part about it, there is a fan right next to my T :-/

Korndog said:

mine rises about 1/2, but mine also squirts out from the pressure (thats why i have a cap on mine) even with 2" clearence, it still manages to squirt. worst part about it, there is a fan right next to my T :-/

This is one of the reasons i capped mine as well. When testing i turned off the pump and my Tline became old faithfull. The other reason was no evaporation.

hmm i have a 1/2barb with a screw end, but dont have the fitting for it,, anyone know what kind of cap i need?

Back