• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you make a chiller core???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremecorvette

Disabled
I'm really interested in learning how they work. Do they make any that would work on 120 AC or they just work on 12 DC? I would be interested in seeing more pictures on how they make them and put them together.

Are you looking to actually build your own peltier-chiller? That would probably be expensive... unless you have a ready supply of TECs, lots of power and basic milling skills.

If you wanted to build one out of bought parts, you could probably do it with a HDD waterblock. The HDD block would be your core. Mount a bunch of peltiers on it with the cold-side facing the block. Find some MASSIVE heatsinks and mount them on the hot-side of the peltiers. Provide LOTS of airflow and some hot water... you've got yourself a chiller core.

Here you go... My amazing photoshop skills have provided a simple diagram to show you what a typical TEC-chiller looks like.
chiller-basics.jpg

The gray thing in the middle is your core. The wavy red thing is the path of the water, hopefully through some sort of turbulant path.

If you want to experiment with a Bender chiller... I'd just contact him and see if he can still obtain one for you.

I am using one of those chillers... I've heavily modded mine though, for extra bling factor. It's wired for 120v DC... something that is typically fairly expensive and difficult to provide. There are 10 TECs inside it that can run around 5-18v. They are wired in series, so a PSU from 50-180v is needed. 12v power supplies are common enough, and 12v is pretty much the 'swee-spot' for these particular TECs... so... I rewired them from series to parallel. This way... they'll work on a standard (albeit powerful) 12v power supply.

I haven't taken any recent pics showing off the completed wiring, distribution blocks or the 'real' chrome work... but here are a few basic shots for you =p.

http://www.euphoriaguild.com/stuff/shroud-beta0.jpg
http://www.euphoriaguild.com/stuff/shroud-beta1.jpg
http://www.euphoriaguild.com/oc/chiller-wired.jpg

So which works better just water cooling and having a TEC on the CPU, or just using TEC's to cool the water and not having a TEC on the CPU?

That's too broad of a question to ask... it depends on your goals.

I guess... for simplicity, a single peltier-cooled CPU is better.

What are the advantages to cooling the water over just cooling the CPU with the TEC? I've been thinking about doing both.

its safer to cool the water with the TEC, then to put TEC on CPU.
If your water chiller TEC dies, your temperatures rise slowly, and might not even reach the deadly limit. If your TEC on CPU dies, you are almost guranteed a fried CPU in 10sec.

Yeah... 10 75w peltiers would heat your entire house with enough ventilation... Seriously, you could turn off central heating, put a couple of box fans behind your chiller and be fine for the whole winter.

The power consumption of such a beast would basically be a second energy bill =p. That is, if you ran it frequently.

Are you set on a TEC-chiller? The only real advantage I can see with building a chiller with peltiers instead of 'conventional' methods is space considerations. You'll be hard pressed to create a fridge or water-fountain chiller with the same dimensions of a good TEC-chiller.

I'm not set on it, the power use doesn't bother me, just heat coming off of them. What do you think is the best way to get a low CPU temp?

Back