• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum Top = Corrosion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
This should be a pretty quick question. I have a Dtek Spir@l with an aluminum top...does the aluminum on the top of the block cause ionization/corrossion problems with the rest of the copper system?

The top should be anodize which prevents this but an anti-corrosion additive like antifreeze should be used anyway.

I'm running the same block you are and I've opened my block twice to check for corrosion. I haven't seen any. The block top looks like it is new.

BTW, I've been running my block over a year.

Yeah, I was planning on using corrosion inhibitors anyway - some red/orange antifreeze and some other stuff I found. Glad to hear than anodizing prevents that kind of corrosion. :) Thanks guys.

When buying anti-freeze for corrosion protection, dont go for the cheapest stuff, get good brand anti-freeze as the better/more expensive antifreeze has better corrosion inhibition and covers a wider range of materials.

Back