• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powering the pump..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Radical

What would a pump like the Eheim 1250 plug into? I would guess that it would plug into a power outlet in the wall, since I thought that it was designed to be used in an aquarium, but it could plug into the PSU, as well. If it does plug into the wall, is the only option that I would have to drill a hole in my case to run to power cord from the pump to the wall? Thanks.

Eheim pumps require 120v supply.

You could wire the pumps cord to plug into the the 2nd external outlet on your psu, granted you have one.

If you cut the end of the power cord off you can feed the cable through a pci slot or something and fish it up to the back of the psu.

Note: Even though you wire the pump to the back of the psu, it will be on regardless whether the system is on or off.

Sounds like your choice is to splice the wires or drill a bigger hole in that back of your case.

I don't know the lenght of the cord on this particular pump, but it your power outlet is near your computer, you can pass the cord in the hole of your intake fan in the front bottom of you case.

I opened my power supply and fed the wire from the pump through a hole I drilled in the side of the power supply and hooked the cord to the inside of the switch on the back. When the switch is on the pump is on and the computer can't be turned on if the switch is off so it's completely idiot proof (even for me :p)

On a quiet one 1200 pump, I was able to trim enough plastic from the long sides of the plug so it would just slip through a rear PCI slot. I still consider the plug safe, but other plugs may be made differently. IF YOU DO THIS TO YOUR PLUG, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO VERIFY THE END RESULT IS SAFE BEFORE APPLYING POWER! sorry for shouting, but 120VAC shocks hurt at best and could stop your heart at worst.

Long term, I'll put a relay inside the case to control power to the pump.

My point in posting is that cutting the plug off then rewiring it is not the only option for getting the pump power cable out the back of the computer.

junkymagi said:
I opened my power supply and fed the wire from the pump through a hole I drilled in the side of the power supply and hooked the cord to the inside of the switch on the back. When the switch is on the pump is on and the computer can't be turned on if the switch is off so it's completely idiot proof (even for me :p)
While that would still allow the pump to run when the system is off, which would inject a bit of heat into the water and possibly shorten the pump's life, it would prevent the system from running without the pump being on...

and I don't know of anyone else who'se done it that way before. Nicely done. :thup:

Originally posted by junkymagi
Okay, I'll try and open my PSU up during the weekend so I can see what you're talking about. If it's idiot-proof, then it sounds like it could work for me. Thanks for all of your help.

Well, the fan on the rad is a 120vac exhaust fan from an older model mobile home. It's got blades instead of a plate with fins and moves quite a bit of air without making a lot of noise.

It's hooked into the same place the pump is so while the computer is off, the water can't warm up, it actually drops to ambient :p

Forgot to mention, my computer runs 24/7, been running like that for 6 months straight :D

What exactly is a power relay? I searched on google, but all I found were sites where I could buy them - I couldn't find anything that told me what they did, and I can't tell from the pictures.

a power relay uses a molex from your computer's power supply to actuate a 120vac relay to turn on your pump when you turn on the computer, it takes up a slot in the back of your computer and you have to have an extra place to plug it in, brings in the chance of the relay powering the pump to come unplugged while the computer stays running, which is not good :p

I prefer my method, can make sure the water is flowing before the computer turns on :p

Yeah, that wouldn't be very good. I'll keep what you said in mind. I still have to wait until the weekend to see if your idea is easy or hard - I'm not sure what you're plugging the pump into still. Thanks for the suggestions though.

when I get my digital camera back, I'll crack open the power supply and take a couple pictures.

Get power relay.
You can buy one for $1.50-$5, depending on specifications and manufactureer.
Usually it has 5 connections:
2 for 12V(voltage ma ybe different for different power relays) controller
and 3 are for operating electricity, let's say they are named a,b,c;
If there's voltage on control connections, a&b are short, if not - b&c.

There are versions with single, double and more relays; transparent and opaque (usually black). Now I have transparent single in front of me ($2) - looks cool and works nice.

Basically it's electromagnetic switch.

where can you get $5 relays?!?!? Thats hella cheap considering the powerpoint is like $20. Can you give us a link?

Oh, I just went to CoolTechnica, and I found 2 power relays that were made for use with pumps. They look like they would be pretty easy to use, but I'll also wait for pictures from junkymagi. Thanks again for your help.

Back