• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new block too heavy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VballCoach

Hi all

I've got my new block made and was using a poly top. Everytime
I screwed in the barbs with the liquid teflon about an hour later there were cracks at the threads in the top. I only torqued it about an 1/8" turn past hand tightening. It started to leak and the barbs were loose. I think the chemicals in the thread sealant are reacting with the plastic.

So, I made another top out of 1/4" copper. Everything looks good but....I'm afraid to put it on as it now weighs about 1.2 lbs!!!

My question...is it too heavy? I'll be using the clips on the socket base because I don't have 4 holes in my motherboard.

Also, what do you use to seal the brass barbs in the polytop??

I can easily make another poly top for this but I don't want the leakage at the threads.

Please help...

VballCoach

Yea. That sounds way too heavy for socket lug holdown.

As forthe poly tops. You arnt suppose to be using metal barbs with poly tops. Use poly barbs for poly tops.

get much thinner copper for the top and solder the barbs on (I would get a barbed coupler and cut it in half and use each half for the inlet and outlet :p

Polycarbonate aka lexan is excellent material. I use it with my blocks and it has never cracked on me. I dont think its even capable of cracking, so it sounds like ur using acrylic if its cracking so easy. So if u are worried about weight, call any local glass place, ask for lexan. I got enuff to make about 9 wb tops for 6 dollars.

oh wow, why is it soo huge?

And no, lexan is not the prime polycarbonate. and yes, I have had my LEXAN crack many a time with brass barbs, you should use teflon TAPE and plastic barbs. or just use the copper top.

how bout some dimentions and pictures?

Jon

have you seen the size of most newer aircooled heatsinks? I haven't seen many less than 500g in a long time, and there are some that are over 700g. I think you will be fine with the 1.2 lbs, even though it is above AMDs specs.

Remember, a waterblock is much 'shorter' than an aircooled heatsink, so there will be much less of a bending moment on your clip. Just make sure that the hoses are not pulling down on the waterblock, too. You might need to support the hoses.

Hope it helps!

Back