• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC up and running, but strange temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Void425

Registered
I finally put my first WC setup together. Had a couple small problems. First one was my Home-made Resivoir was leaking because I didn't get a good enough seal around the fitting. Then after a couple hours I notice a very small leak on the intake to my WW Block. I fixed that leak by just changing my hose clamp. The hose clamp that was on it had a slight bend in it and was sqeezeing the tub. After that no more leak.

When I first turned on my computer after that I was reading a CPU temp of 29, Case of 24, and a Diode of 58. I knew something must be wrong......then my diode reading set off the alarm by hitting 62. After shutting the computer down and rebooting I still was haveing a high reading of 58 again. Since the other sensors were so low I though what the heck and I started prime95 and for some strange reading my diode dropped way down after starting prime95.

What could have caused my diode to be so far out of whack. Right now I'm running 95 still and my CPU temp is 33, Case 24, and the diode is bounceing between 29-33. Am I just getting false readings sometimes? I'm sure if my Diode was really around 60 my cpu temp would not read 33.

Another thing I found strange is I decided to see how quick my temps would go up if I turned my fans off blowing on my heatercore. To my suprise my temps did not change at all? Does this mean cooling setup is good enough to not even bother with a fan and just run passive?

I have no clue what could be wrong with the diode temp. I've never heard of one dropping from 60C to 29C by loading the CPU... weird. What motheboard do you have?

yes, it is entirely possible to run fanless if you're set up right. however, you might remember that water has a very large thermal capacity. It can absorb a lot of energy without changing temperature that much. You likely did not leave the fans off long enough for the water to raise more than a couple of degrees.

I'm running an Asus a7n8x with a AthlonXP 1800+ currently at 200x9.5 at the stock voltage. When I was on air I pushed it up to 200x11 at 1.725 voltage but dropped it back down for the time being.

It took about 15 minutes but my CPU Temp ( non diode ) did eventually go up 2 degrees to 35. I don't think I will be going fanless for a while...better be safe then sorry while I'm sleeping. My WC parts wouln't fit in my case so I made a seperate box and I though the bigger resivoir the better so I made a 2 liter resivoir. Wasn't sure how big of one I needed.

Back