• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS reinstall if MOBO swapped?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ive had instances where its necessary to reinstall the OS, and some where it wasnt. for instance, i went from an abit ic7 to a p4p800 and i didnt need to, but when i went from a gigabyte ga-8ipepro-1000, i did.

not sure as to what the restrictions are, but i would recommend reinstalling anyway to get rid of any files that were strictly used for the mobo and / or system configurations.

Well it's a good idea to flush out any WIndoze OS at least once a year IMHO so it's likely overdo anyhow.

To what I have seen Windows 2000 or XP just does not like big hardware changes, like motherboards, I even had trouble once with a new video card. I would reinstall the OS if I was going to replace the motherboard, then I would have a clean install with just the drivers for the new hardware.

I have xp.. I change'd my mobo, processor and memories.. after xp just would not boot. So I had to re-install. So you better back-up your files before you make that change. :)

Ah CRAP, wish I would have seen this earlier, I could have helped you.

This linky here explains exactly what you have to do when you move an XP system disk to a new computer, as in swapping mobo's, etc. I've used this procedure many, many times on XP and Win 2k systems and it works every time. You do not have to re-install the OS, and in the case of XP, maybe you'll have to re-activate, but not re-install. You do not lose any program files or settings or favorites. This little trick is a time and life saver.

lyle said:

This linky here explains exactly what you have to do when you move an XP system disk to a new computer, as in swapping mobo's, etc. I've used this procedure many, many times on XP and Win 2k systems and it works every time. You do not have to re-install the OS, and in the case of XP, maybe you'll have to re-activate, but not re-install. You do not lose any program files or settings or favorites. This little trick is a time and life saver.

now thats what I call a tip:D

Sounds like a plan... I just went from an Epox 8RDA+ XP1800+ system to a P4P800 Deluxe 2.4c system, when we booted her up with my old hard drive she actually went all the way into windows, however when trying to install some of the new board drivers we ran into some problems and had to do a re-install( which I normally do every month for a clean running system) I've heard that XP is very touchy in this area, even swapping the memory can cause a re-install. So I guess its a case by case. (no pun intended):D

lyle said:

Second that!!.... have done this several times and never really had a hitch. Good to do a clean install at least annually though IMHO.

Back