• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning the system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borisw37

I am about to put in a new WaterBlock into my system, but i would like to clean it out first, besides draining the old water, can i add something and run it trough the system to clean the tubing. They are not perfectly clear anymore, kind of white.

Airspirit at Procooling came up with *sol
*sol (75% Pine Sol 25% Lysol): cleans hose deposits, kills bugs, raises your grandmother from the grave, organizes your socks...

You can mix the *sol mixture up tp 50/50 water and it still works great.. run it for a couple hours "The mixture should be warm"
then flush flush flush with water.. then add your coolant of choice s and your up and running with sparkly newish hoses.

Airspirit collant=70% distilled, 20% red glycol, 5% hyperlube, 5% sanitizer
sanitizer = non cloride non bromide spa sanitizer

I run 99% distilled 1% Humidifier bacteriostat. I think I will add 5% Hyperlube tho..

The *Sol mixture will clean anything but scaling deposits from hard water.. for that you need CLR but be careful with it. if you have any aluminum in your system I recomend not using CLR at all.

*EDIT If you use Water Wetter in your system that probably is causing the "White Stuff" I recomend against Water Wetter in favor of one of the above coolants .02 ;-)

yep, i am using Water Wetter. I see the results of stained hoses and will not use it in my new setup.
Thanks for your advice.

Thanks, it worked Great, the tubing is spottless.
Just one side-effect. It ate away some marine goop that i used as sealant in my reservuar, and now my Res. leaks :mad:

(just to clear things up, i am not blaiming anybody for this, the method does work good, i should have tested it on a piece of goop before using it in the Res)

OUCH:eek: .. well thats good to know. I used Marine Goop to fix a Via Aqua a while back.. and I just keep it as a spare now. I hope nothing but the Rez was damaged..

I used JB weld to hold an acrylic Bay res together i made, does JB weld react funny with any other kinds of metel. I ahve copper and silver, i got white on my hoses, but do not use water wetter, is it because of that?

Nothing else got damaged, beacause i already hat the entire water cooling system taken out of the PC. So i just had a puddle of water smelling of pine-sol on my floor. Now i am running with a heatsink and fan, and its loud. That litle sucker on the heatsink makes this annoying high pitch noise, now i remember why i switched to water.

Cleaning the tubing depends on the kind of stains. If hard water deposits (milky white), then a mild vinegar and water solution would work if followed by several flushes with distilled water. If it's a colorant from an additive dye, forget it, the tubing is hosed (pun intended). The dye chems have permiated the plastic and are there to stay ... might as well replace the tubing ... sorry I dont' have a better idea. Good luck.

KK

Between a can of cola, 1/4 cup of javex, and a cup of pine sol.
Pine sol wins. It is fast reacting. In my system it flushed out the white stuff in tubing instantly. It takes out the red spots too, but not completely.

Back