• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no more heavy wb for me!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VballCoach

waterblock%203.jpg
waterblock3a.jpg
waterblock%203b.jpg

It was around 1.2 lbs and now it's .75 lbs!!
Ok...got rid of the 1/4" copper top..way, way too heavy!!!
went with 1/8" top and Poly mounting plate. Also, no more
threads as I'm going to solder in the barbs.

Do you guys think I should use red RTV to form the 'O-ring' that I routed in the block or should I seal it up with solder??? Maybe use marine goop?? Let me know your ideas...

VBallCoach

Looks good.

I wouldn't solder unless you had to; you might want to change something. First choice would be an O-ring:), second choice RTV. I used thermostat gasket maker on the swiftech 5002 I just sealed up; it is definitely rated for exposure to water and anti-freeze.

blue rtv would be more suited to your application than red rtv, red is for oil gaskets, blue is for water gaskets. I've used the blue rtv silicone to seal up w/c connections before and it worked great. you could probably run a nice bead in the channel, be sure it is high everywhere, and let it set just a bit before putting the top on. Not completely cured but just till it starts to stiffen. Block looks great! good work

J.

Well that is a piece of very fine art if you ask me. No CNC needed, all freehand.

That's awsome:D

Maxi~

Hey, how did you make that?

like what tools?

I'm thinking of making one kinda similar.

tools I used are:

RotoZip with 1/4 Dremel Bit
1/8 drill bit
drill press
die grinder with cut-off wheel
dremel with rotary cut-off
belt sander

not hard but time consuming...good thing I have all this time and tools at my disposal at work

Last edited:
very interesting, although the groove you got around will not work with an O-ring, they need to be made with precision, I would fill it with solder and solder the top on. Thats definately the best way in my opinion.

Jon

You're absolutely right!

I tried to use and o-ring with petroleum jelly with the poly top. It worked for about 1/2 a day then started to leak. The threads in the plastic cracked. I can only surmise that I a) torqued the barbs too much; b) bad reaction with liquid teflon; c) or both.

With this block I went ahead and sealed it all up with solder.

Thank goodness no leaks!!

And I'm writing this with my new w/c setup.

Will start a new thread with pics.

Thanks again all!

Back