• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7 Max 3 related problem ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Recnelis

Registered
I have been running this computer for about 3 weeks now at 265 Fsb 1:1 and dont have a problem with passing a day of the prime 95torture test or a loop or 10 of 3d mark 2003 so I assumed the system was stable. Yesterdat I installed my first game though Homeworld 2 and it froze after 10 minutes. After the reboot winxp said it was related to the Radeon. I returned the Radeon to stock settings crashed again.
Installed 2 more games, splintercell and engigma rising tide and more computer freezes after 5 - 15 minutes.
Finaly I reduced the FSB to 260. I am now passing the prime 95 torture test on 1.575 Vcore instead of 1.625Vcore but still I crash out in games on both voltages. At 250Fsb I dont crash out anymore in games I havent tried settings between 250 and 260 yet. I don't quite know what to think of it anyone have suggestions on things to try to remove this stability problem ?

sapphire Radeon 9800pro cataclyst 3.7
bios 1.3 on mobo
Computer rock sollid at 265Fsb doing anything part from playing a game.

Well I'd honestly go back to stock settings on the mobo and CPU. At least then you will eliminate those variables, and can focus on the primary issue, which I am thinking may be the Vid Card since it's game (graphic) related. After/when we can pinpoint that it's the card then we can go from there. Just my 2 cents.

Well I am lost. some points so far

-memtest passes all uptill 267mhz
-cpu passes prime 95 at 265 mhz fsb. (just ran another 6 hour session)
-No crashes at all at 250 mhz
-AGP IS locked so it shouldnt matter if the FSB is 300 or 200 as far as the vidcard goes.

I would be surprised if a game crashes out the cpu at a setting 5mhz fbs lower then that it will pass prime95 the memory is even 7mhz lower then its best memtest results.

Have you tried dual primes? I've found at certain fsb's I'm stable only running one instance of prime whereas 2 instances will crash one. For example, my 2.8 topped out at 3.2 @ 1.6 vcore but would boot at 3.5 and would do one prime at 3.35 but not 2. At 3.2 it was dual prime stable. Same with this chip, 3.6+ is only good for one prime95. Yet, i'd still get the odd crash, infrequent lockup.

Gonna try the dual primes tomorrow it sounds like an interesting test.

In the meantime I installed the cat 3.9 Drivers with the nifty VPU recover tool. The games froze again but each time the VPU recover kicked in clearly proving the video card is the problem but i cant understand why it can be a problem if the agp buss is locked. FSB should have 0 effect on the video card with a locked bs Yet at 250 for example it doesnt lock up.

error signature.
szAppName : Drivers.Display szAppVer : 10024E480000021002
szModName : ati2dvag.dll szModVer : 6.14.10.6396 Offset : B42D06EA

What is your memory speed and voltage?? I ask b/c I've had cases on my own boxes where the agp card gets flaky but it's actually the memory crapping out, or a combo of the two.
If you haven't tried it already, you could up your AGP voltage by +.1 or +.15v and up you memory voltage to 2.7 or 2.8v

My vdimm was set to 2.8V all the time since corsair recommends 2.8V and discourages to go over 2.9 Its actually overvolting to 2.83 - 2.85 and setting it to 2.9 crashes it out even at 200Fsb.

I had the memory running at 265Fsb at 3-4-4-7 when it passed memtest. At 3-4-4-8 at 261 Fsb the games still crash but at 260 Fsb 3-4-4-7 (last setting i tried last night) the game did not crash in the hour of time that I had left.
Tonight I'll try the 261 - 265 range again with the AGPV up by 0.1 V. Maybe its undervolting aswell.

I agree with upping your agp voltage. Go from 1.55 to 1.6 or 1.65 and see what that does. Do run dual primes, you need to add -A1 after the parenthesis in the target of the prime shortcut.

im running a similar type setup but i can boot in a 265 and play games without a problem i heard the max3 had a problem with keeping the fsb locked on the agp/pci i upped my voltage to the 1.65 max the bios allows and i havent had any problems with it since at 1.6 or lower id get random crashes over 260 and 1:1 though

Back