• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Memory Slots 1 and 3 vs. 2 and 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staccato9

Registered
In my system I have 2 sticks of 256 mb PC3500 HyperX. When I first installed it in my P4P800 the only way I could get it to pass a run of memtest at 2225 was to turn the voltages up to 2.85V. Then I switched the memory to slots 2 and 4 and I easily passed memtest at 2225 with 2.55V and have never had stability problems after months of use.

Now I am thinking about using all 4 memory slots and I would like to know is there any way of fixing this or is something wrong with my board?

nice timings, and using four slots may slow you donw a bit,

and at what FSB is the memory running at that timing,

I have some twinmos that can do 240FSB with 2-2-2-4 @3.10;)

I know they are not rated for 2-2-2-5. They are rated for 2-3-3-7 at 433 mhz ddr. The memory can run fine in slots 2 and 4 at 2-2-2-5 at 400 mhz ddr but not in slots 1 and 3. This leads me to believe it is a problem with the motherboard and not the memory.

There was a thread a long time ago about using the 2nd bank with 800fsb cpus working better than the 1st bank. The 1st bank works better with 533fsb cpus. You'll lose some o/c using both banks and probably some timing speed. i865 doesn't like tRAS to be lower than 3. I was able to get my Corsairs at 2-3-2-5 on my board.

-Bobby

Do you know anyone w/ some Mushkin lvl 2 black? I test ran some pc3200 on my board @ 208 fsb 1:1 2-2-2-5 in both sets of slots with no probs(my buddies a mushkin dealer). That for sure can run tight timing and then you can rule your mobo in/out.

hmmm. The only reason I care is that the memory acceleration mode will only go 2-2-2-5.

Oh well, I guess I'll just sell my current stuff to a friend and get 2x512 mb. It seems kinda strange that it works that way though.

oh, thats strange. I thought when I tried that whenever I looked at it through something like cpu-z my manual settings were overwritten and set to 2-2-2-5. What bios are you running? I'm still using the 1009 bios.

Rev. 1010. Had the board less than a month. came w/ 1009 I flashed it day 1. You can flash it using the asus update utility no probs( at least when I did it). Had an aopen ax4spe-n(still have trying to sell it).

Back