• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent One 1200 Initial Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spacepiston

I recently purchased a Silent One 1200 for my t-line setup. My Maxi-jet 1200 has been reliable but noisey recently so I decided to try a new pump.

My impressions are based on 1 weeks use, compared to almost a year with the Maxi-jet.

Temps: Exactly same results using Maxi-Jet 1200

Noise: At this point I would have to say the Silent One is LOUDER! I may have a bit of air that has yet to bleed, but its been a week and it has not gotten much quieter. I can pinch the sides of the pump with my fingers lightly and the noise (apparently vibration) is quieted significantly, but you cant hold it forever. Not pleased with the noise.

Size: Larger then the Maxijet but not too much.

Heat Generated by pump: It get a bit hot on one side. The Maxi-jet got fairly warm too, but this pump is noticeably hotter. Of course the cooling temps are not effected so its not really an issue.

Seals: The O-ring on the in-line adapter plate is a tricky fit on the Silent One, but after carful installation it is a good seal. My Maxi-Jet had to be sealed because stresss on the adjustable head caused leakage. The downside of the Silent One is the in-line adapter plate has to turn and lock into place, and it is possible to spin that piece out of the lock position if your not careful.

Fittings: Female fittings from irrigation piping fit the Silent one perfectly. 1/2" barbs thread right on and thats a huge plus. As we know the Maxi Jet requires quite a bit of engineering to attatch barbs.

Bottom Line:

The Quiet One pump seems to be a bit higher quality then the Maxi-Jet for about the same price. Its a bit bigger, and heavier, but you get good head pressure. Man if this pump would just shut up then it would really be nice.

Last edited:
i tried cementing the impeller, but it really didnt need it. The design is not like the Via-Aqua.

I ran the pump in my sink without the inline attatchment and the pump's vibration was greatly reduced in comparison to the inline setup. Vibration is the major problem with this pump so far. If it sits outside my case its virtually silent but inside its much worse. I did find that if you remove the top cap to the pump there is a cavity on the cooler side of the pump which is farthest from the motor. I stuffed some tissue paper in there and alot of noise and vibration was absorbed.

I am going to give this pump another week and if its still giving me trouble I might just break down and buy an Eheim...if I can fit it in my case!

Well I have decided that this pump is too loud! I just ordered an Eheim 1250 because they are held in such high regards.

I always thought the Eheim was a bit pricey but noise is really a big issue for me. Here I have hundreds of dollars invested into watercooling mostly for noise reduction, and after all my hard work the pump is driving me insane. Sure its not too loud but it rattles and occasionally it squaks at me!

I would recommend a Maxi-Jet 1200 any day before the Quiet-One, at least as far as noise and vibration is concerned.

**UPDATE**

Got Eheim, well worth it.

Last edited:
Back