• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket holddown, is it sale?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

I'm planning to go WC for my dually. My mobo is AMD 266M-D so there are no holes to install waterblock. I'm thinking of using DangerDen socket holddown (well i guess its the only way :rolleyes: )

However seeing the waterblocks are pretty heavy (way over AMD recommended :) ) so i just need some inputs from you guys. I dont want to break my "main" system tho .

Thanks alot,

Well i have one Maze3 with socket holddown from DD, so i'm thinking of buying one more to match with mu dual. However i'm seeing the WB is very heavy so i wonder if its safe to use socket holddown. But again i guess its the only way for me since my Asus duall board doesnt have holes. I rather not go WC if its not safe tho. I really dont want to break this system.

Thankx

You can always try to mount blocks to case somehow :)
For example by using some strings mounted to top of case and to block, possibly with springs to have better "force-removing parameters".

I'm currently using a Socket Holddown bracket from DD for my Maze3 and it works fine.

Originally I used the standard bolt system, but my new mobo didn't have this, so I ordered a socket holddown.

side.jpg

The rest of my watercooling pics are at http://users.adelphia.net/~link1305/

If your not going to move the case around there should be no problem (as long as the rest of your system is ridged that is). If you plan on moving it around you may feel better by using smaller / lighter blocks like the be-cooling and the Swiftech

I used one on my Maze3 for a while with my last motherboard. It worked fine and like Stedeman said if you don't move your pc much it will work fine for you also. The one on the Swiftech blocks is fine also.

Hmm i dont think i will move the comp oftenly, no time for lan party anyway ;)

I think i will go for it? yeah cant wait to have a WC dually. I'm sick of those HSF noises.

If you have anymore ideas or comments please let me know.
Thankx

There shouldn't be any problem with that setup. I've used a few blocks with socket hold down and am currently running the swiftec. It's pretty safe using those tabs IMO. I was using the Innovatek block and it's very heavy and you can really crank down on the holddown piece. I love the socket tabs because I like to tinker with my computer a lot and am always taking the block off. Never had a problem as of yet. I'd say go for watercooling and don't worry about the tabs being unsafe. Have fun, it's a blast! :D

Back