• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thin heater core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K1ll1nT1m3

I am looking for a heater core less than 2in thick. I have seen some that are 1in thick. This would be a secound rad. I have about 7in width and 11in length ( haha ). Anyone know of a core that would fit?

I am looking, but this is a very slow process. I was wanting to see if anyone knew of one that might be better than what I have found.

Low profile heatercores

Here's a list of a few heater cores that may be of interest

http://overclockers.com/tips1031/

Unfortunatly the ones that fit your discription are forign radiators and they run about 70$, defeating the purpose of getting a heater core to begin with.

So does anyone know of any domestic heatercores less than 6" wide and less than 2" thick?

It may be that it would be better to go with a swiftech rad676 instead. Directron has them for 36$. Anyone with any experience?

I spent alot of time searching and i couldnt find one domestic under 2 in.

I found about 15 imports that might work. There all about 70 dollars at least. My fav was the 97 toyota corolla. Then i was thinkin a 91 toyota camry.

Thanks for the help. Im still tryin to figure out what i want to do about this.

Edit: then there is the black ice extreme 2. Its about the perfect size. its a tough call. :(

Last edited:
can you say salvage yard or in north carolina we say junk yard..take out of a wrecked card and flush it with CLR and then pressure test, or vaccume test it.

The late 80's early 90's Toyota Camry/Corolla's all use 1.25" thick cores. I use them myself. Extremely nice heater-cores. Vey efficient. They may be thinner, but they typically have about twice the folded fin density of most of the domestic USA cores, so you end up with probably better efficiency for less thickness.

The Ford Festiva (Festiva is the model name here in Australia) cores are also 1.25" thick, and 5.5" x 5.5" in size, making them quite a conveniently sized item. Very nice little items, and possibly every bit the match of the DTek Pro style cores, but they are pricey.

In most cases, a wrecker yard is the cheapest way to obtain them, otherwise you're looking at the $50-80 mark.

Results taken from...

http://www.pullmanford.com/heatercores/heatercoreinline.asp

89-93 Ford FESTIVA - 6"x6.125x1.25" - Autozone price: $99 Link Ouch!

89-91 Ford PROBE - 7"x6.5"x1.34" - Autozone price: $51.99 Link! Ouch!

85-90 Geo SPECTRUM - 6.25"x6.375"x1.75" - Autozone price: $51.99 Link! Man... these little guys are 'spensive!

89-97 Geo TRACKER - 5.5"x5.75"x1.25" - Autozone price: $259.99 Link! Holy crap! It is so small and cute... $260???

85-88 Chevrolet NOVA - 6.25"x5.5"x1.34" - Autozone price: $40.99 Link! Getting better!
(I used to own an 88 Nova... fun little P.O.S.)

85-99 Chevy Truck ASTRO & SAFARI - 6.25"x5.375"x1"!! - Autozone price: $32.99! Link! Getting MUCH better... a ONE-INCH heatercore? $33? Happy day!

90-94 Hyundai EXCEL - 6.5"x6"x1.625" - Autozone price: $139.99 Link! Ouch!

83-86 Toyota TERCEL - 6.25"x5.5"x1.34" - Autozone price: $38.99 Link!

86-95 Suzuki SAMURAI - 5.125"x5.625"x1.25" - Autozone price: $51.99 Link! Not bad... only 1.25" thick.

I say... the $33 one-inch heatercore is worth checking out... I may go by the store today just to see it in person.

OH well... all those links don't work due to autozone's buggy database =p. Not my fault! You can look up the years yourself on autozone. I found probably 20 additional sub-2" thick heatercores on the database but I only posted the ones that autozone had in stock. So... you should be able to find them without much trouble. If you get a choice between 4WD and 2WD, pick 2WD because their parts seem to be much more common.

Vonkaar: Thanks. I am gonna go check that one out too. I cant beleive I missed the Ford Probe.

Cather: Thanks too. I was wondering how well they did. Now I might even try the 1" one. ( it might save a 5.25 bay )

Thanks again

Back