• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled my 9800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cypher_138

I took off that tacky cooler and was a little disappointed by the way it cooled the RAM chips on the backside in particular. The TIMs were silver pads rather than the cheap pink stuff at least. Even still contact was spotty at best. I cleaned them off with some 99% pure IPA and applied a thin coat of artic alumina epoxy mixed with a little AS5. I used Tweak monster Ram sinks and accelerated the cure time with a heat gun. Once set I cleaned the core and laid down a thin layer of AS5, (this is really good stuff). I than mounted a Danger Den Maze4 GPU block on it and re-plumbed my loop to accommodate it. I didn't want to use a 90 so I opted to use a length of tubing that could make the bend. I had to mount the side fan on the outside of the case due to clearance. I have to say the card looks allot better this way. As a bonus I added a second radiator in parallel to the circuit as well. I did this a few days before adding the GP to it. Temps are 27c under load. I hit 30c while using Shin-Etsu. That could be due to other factors such as my blocks mount or the TIMS application. I'll post some pics this week when I borrow a camera. I'm really happy with this whole system right now. I won't be upgrading for quite some time after all this.

I'm also planning to get and water cool an 9800XT. I am currently cooling my 9700Pro with the Swiftech gpu block. Instead of moving my fan to the outside I used this fan. It does the job for me b/c is is both quite and helps to keep my memory cool.

When you get a camera post some pics so we check it out.

Congrats on an awesome card.:p

yeah post pics i wanna see this... to bad bout hl2 and doom3 delay now i just gotta wait till next gen cards come out, but still nice job wcing that thing

Thanks. I would like to run pelts but I have a Cascade on my CPU. Temps under full load are 26c this morning while folding two clients 24/7. I'll post pics as soon as I get my hands on a camera. I think my Brother has one but it's low res. I'll grab one from work this Monday.

Did adding a second radiator in parallel help your CPU temperatures at all, and how much?

Sweet stuff!

Man, that is one clean setup. I love it when I see people making such nice looking setups. I don't have near the patience for making my computer look neat inside. Mine isn't like a ratsnest by no means but it is nowhere near that level of neatness. :)

Thanks. I'll need to borrow a camera so I can get some pisc still. I have a crap core on this card. I'm running 460/400 for everyday use.

cypher_138 said:
Temps are 27c under load. I hit 30c while using Shin-Etsu. That could be due to other factors such as my blocks mount or the TIMS application. I'll post some pics this week when I borrow a camera. I'm really happy with this whole system right now. I won't be upgrading for quite some time after all this.

What are you using to measure temps with on your 9800XT?

The temps I posted are for my CPU. I don't have a way to check the GPU temp yet. Hopefully ATI will add that feature into future Cats.

Back