• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what should I do........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I'm having some trouble deciding what to do about my rad situation.

I have a cheiftec dragon, you know the one everyone has. I have a chevette heatercore mounted in the top around my 120mm top blowhole, but I'm going to need more rad when I go to pelts pretty soon. I really don't want to lose my hard-drive bays, because I have no place else to put my hard-drives.

So, I got to thinking about those 80mm radiators, and one of those that supports dual 80mm fans are kinda nice. So, I've been thinking of getting one, but the problem is they have 3/8" barbs, and my whole system is 1/2".

So, does anyone know of any heatercores that are like 3x6 inches and have a place where I could put on 1/2" barbs?

Or, should I just cut up the front of my case, and lose the hard-drive bays? but I really don't want to.

IMHO the best way would be to wait and see what the performance is like with pelts in place. Heatercore efficiency depends on gradient of temperatures a lot. So there might not be such a hit in performance after all.

I know, but also if my water temps are high enough to get real good efficiency, my other temps will suffer as well.

I geuss I'll try it, but for now lets assume that it wasn't enough rad.

External box is a popular option nowdays.
Can be made to look neat and accomodates a heatercore or two nicely.

walkerIV said:
External box is a popular option nowdays.
Can be made to look neat and accomodates a heatercore or two nicely.
2 rad one on each end a large pump like the Ehime 1060 / 1260 and a large fan or 2 (use an A/C one not a 12V so you can tie all the powers together)
Like this:
: core : A/C fan : pump : A/C fan : core :
have the air left to right with warm water in on the left and cooled water out on the right. (you can still use a high power dimmer switch on the fans too) and with an out side box you can use much bigger cores ;)
PS This is on my to do list for over a year :p

Well, I'm tring to keep this all inside my case. I'm kinda wierd about that, even though I don't move my case, I just don't want an external box.

Or there is a space between my hard-drives and the non-door side of the case that I could put aradiator, it could fit something 12x4x2".........then I have a fan blowing air out the opposite side of the case.

Last edited:
Ok, put the new radiator in the bottom of your case. You can get a nice looooong one that will fit down there, and have dual 120mm fans pushing air out through it. I doubt you'd want it to be an intake, it'd probably clog up with dust in a week or two. To make this work well, you would want to 'jack up' your case by about 4-6 inches. You could put the 2 120mm fans inside the case, and have the radiator actually attached to the outside of the bottom of the case, then attach them all together with some #4 allthread and nuts/washers.... Just some ideas off the top of my head.

To elevate the case, some simple 2x6's would work well. You should attach them to the bottom of the case to make sure you don't accidentally knock your case off it's stands and crush your lower radiator. :)

Hope this helps!

Back