• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my via aqua 1300 dead ?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

ok so i built a reservoir to house my pump, so i could put it in my case (it was made out of 2 plastic electrical boxes siliconed and screwed together) and after i got everything completely sealed, i installed it in my system.

the flow goes like this:
pump out -> gpu -> radiator -> radiator -> cpu -> box in (reservoir containing pump)

i have 2 radiators next to one another at the top of my case, and the pump enclosure is at the bottom.

i had to cut the plug off the power cord for the pump to install it in the box, so as a temporary fix, i just stripped the ends and wire-nutted them (yes i made sure they werent touching each other)

i plugged in the pump, and all i heard was humming, so i unplugged it and plugged it in again, and it kicked in and started pumping (note i did put water in the reservoir b4 i turned on the pump)

the pump worked and i added some water, then i unplugged it to let the little bubbles collect so they could be gotten rid of. this was my inevitable mistake.

when i plugged the pump back in, i got nothing. no humming, no clicking, no nothing. i tried it in 6 different outlets, both plugs in both. nothin doin. can anyone tell me that my pump isnt dead but just sleeping?!?! :(

i really dont want to have to rebuild the enclosure cause it took me a hella-long time to make it and it cost $$ which im kinda runnin out of right now...

I have had the same problem with my 1300. Some times it doesnt start at all. The rest of the time, it doesnt want to start. I have been able to get mine to start if I keep pluging it in. It seems some times it will start. I have had to open it up and move the impeller. If you still cant get it to start, you may have to do that.

I've been running mine for over a year now without a problem. Well a week ago I installed my home made GPU block and BINGO! it was enough of a flow restriction to kill the little guy. It ran great for a few hours then started to make a loud rattle and died. Oh well at least I got my moneys worth out of it. Time for a new pump.

Not that its going to be much help now. I just figured out a way to help against these pumps not starting. I lapped the impeller shaft with some wet 1500 grit. It startes alot better after this. And its alot quiter too.

Hey Koontz,

Did you check your wire nuts to make sure you still have a good connection on all your leads? I know that's obvious, but I always forget easy stuff like that when I am freakin over my latest problem. :)

Try sanding down the shaft. My friends wouldnt start so I greased the little black rubber thing that holds the shaft and bingo! it works.

squeakygeek said:
Can flow restriction hurt a pump?

Is your sig supposed to look like a toaster?

Don't know. Maybe it was just bad timing? Coincidental? All I know is I installed the block and it died.

Toaster?:eh?:

I guess my Maze3 looks like a toaster. Ok.

I would try sanding the shaft, if at all possible!! Mine has gotten alot better at starting and is a ton quiter now.

As soon as I find a waterproof lube, im going to seal it up( with Goop ). Smoothing out the shaft has made a huge difference in my pump. I cant say if it helps the life, but I dont see why it wouldnt. Its now as quite as my Hydor L20, so I think Im going to stick with it. Plus, it always starts in less than 4 secs now. I couldnt say that before.

Edit: It does run hotter than my L20. Not alot though. If I could just get some help on thermal stuff. Maybe that could be fixed as well. Here is another link I am in on this subject.

Edit2: If you would like, I will PM the whole pic. You can see the full block and part of my case. If you would like, I could also post it. Let me know. ;)

Last edited:
so what everyone is saying is that either

a) my pump is dead and im screwed
b) my pump is too restricted and if i remove some restriction it should start
c) i need to just keep plugging it in until it starts
d) i need to take apart my box and mess with the impeller

correct?

I would start with d). If you can get the pump out, then you can make sure it works. If it does work, I would then smooth out the impeller shaft with some wet 1500. ( maybe round the ends to make it easier to put back together )

If it is working out of the system, then you need to think about restrictions. ( i kind of doubt this would be the problem )

There isnt much else you can do. Maybe take the whole res out and try it in the sink or something.

I have had mine freeze up, and just opening the pump and moving the impeller fixed it. Thats why i suggest smoothing the shaft some. Since I have done that, mine hasnt frooze up once. Plus, it runs alot smoother now.

I did notice that the shaft doesnt go into the rubber bushings very well. Mine was a very tight fit and most of the time they didnt want to fit at all. Thats why I beveled the ends on mine. ( to make sure the shaft sits correctly in the bushings )

I hope this helps some. Good luck

k i guess ill have to give it a shot... mebbe ill clean up the job i did sealing it... mebbe try a gasket or something along those lines instead of silicon all over the goddamn thing :(

Back