• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98 Icons Changing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GM1010

First I'd like to say that I tried searching for this, but it wouldn't let me view the thread for some reason. It said I needed 100 posts but it wasn't in classifieds or anything. I'm having problems with windows changing icons on its own. Sometimes the desktop will change (my Recycle Bin will change to something totally random), but mostly it's in Explorer. It's like the file type associations are changing, but they're not, just the icons. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about and it's probably happened before. I tried searching google and stuff but didn't come up with anything. Anyway, thanks for the help.

The thing is I don't remember changing anything, it just started happening one day, so I don't think that could be it.

Start | Run | Type regedit and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | explorer

Create or modify the Max Cached Icons String Value to have a value of 2048, either by right clicking in the RH pane and selecting New-->String Value, or right clicking the existing String Value and selecting "Modify". In the "Edit String" window that opens, enter 2048 in the "Value data" field. You'll need to reboot for the change to take effect.

You may also have a corrupted ShellIconCache file, in which case you would need to restart in Safe Mode and delete the file from the Windows folder (you need to be able to view hidden files to see the ShellIconCache file. To view hidden files in Win98, click Folder Options on the View menu in Windows Explorer | "View" tab | Click "Show All Files", and then click OK) | Restart your computer. :)

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'll try deleting the shelliconcache first since things besides Windows Explorer are affected. So after I delete this Window's makes another one right?

Back