• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermoChill HE120.1 better than Black Ice Extreme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I want to upgrade my rad on my MCW50-T setup. Right now I am running a Black Ice Extreme. I am looking at the Thermochill HE120.1 at DangerDen for $67 + shipping. I am going to need some extra cooling power cause I am also going to upgrade my pelt from a 80w to a 172w. The reason I am posting this here is because so many more people with h2o cooling knowledge hangout here. Will this rad be an upgrade from the Black Ice Extreme? Thanks fellas, krag

I doubt you will gain much performance gain from switching from BIX to Thermochill Definitely not worth extra 67 dollars + shipping. How bout a heatercore? Its cheap (19.99) and perform better than BIX

ILikeMy240sx said:
I doubt you will gain much performance gain from switching from BIX to Thermochill Definitely not worth extra 67 dollars + shipping. How bout a heatercore? Its cheap (19.99) and perform better than BIX

How much better? 20%-%50? And....how will I be able to tightly screw my 120mm fans to it?

Im sorry but I do not know exaclty how much it will be better than a regular radiator but I can gaurantee it that for the money you pay (compare to the other rad) it's worth it...

People usually use a shroud (or shrouds) to mount the fan on to a heatercore

yea, or some 6-32 threaded rod through the heatercore/fan holes.

I think the difference between teh BIX and the thermochill will be close.

sandman001 said:
yea, or some 6-32 threaded rod through the heatercore/fan holes.

I think the difference between teh BIX and the thermochill will be close.

Hmmmm? Well, i won't get the ThermoChill then. Thanks for your input. I want to find some type of RAD that will fit inside my Vapo and...will be an upgrade from the BIX. THe dimensions if the BIX are perfect 6.9x5x1.7"

So you think the heatercore will fit "and" do a better cooling job? Money isn't the issue here...its performance.

Well, you aren't going to do a whole lot better for that size than a BIX, so I'd just stick with it.

Is there any other place to put another rad?

sandman001 said:
Well, you aren't going to do a whole lot better for that size than a BIX, so I'd just stick with it.

Is there any other place to put another rad?

Nope, not without putting it outside the case. Which is something I am not gonna do cause I like everything internal.

Hey, I was looking at a picture of the vapo, and it looks like there's room for a rad in the front of the case by the hard-drive bays, then one up behind the compressor.

heh! I have a 172mm Rotron fan there that "floods" my case with air...no room.

Back