• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how accurate is the IC7 MAX3's CPU temp sensor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlo56

i keep hearing conflicting reports that Abit's CPU temp sensor on the MAX3 is not accurate?

I currently have a IC7 MAX3 with P4 2.8C 800mhz
Thermalright SP94, with Panaflo 92mm fan 56CFM

the CPU temps in BIOS is ~41C
ambient/case temp ~26C

i thought i'd get lower temps with a SP94 and 57CFM panaflo?

unless abit's CPU temp sensor isnt accurate....

It's widely circulated that Abit reports a little higher temps than the rest of the mobo brands. Personally, I don't think it's that bad. From my calculations my two IC7 mobos "might" be reading 3 to 5 degrees high. Some people claim up to 10 degrees higher, but I can't help but wonder if that's a cop out for their failure to adequately address the cooling situation. After all, overclocking and raising voltage does indeed raise temps.

i think abit has problems with there temp readings being accurate and sometimes they have problems with them even working at all

i wonder the same thing as batboy though, that the people who think its 10 degress or so off are just trying to use that as a coverup for inadequate(sp) cooling

itds not that the temp sensor on the board is bad, the abit boards read the temperature from the on-die temp sensor which is biult into the cpu. it generaly reports the temps as hotter because closely in, IT is hotter.

Back