• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bosch fuel pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

pcPump1.jpg

anyone know where to get one of these things thats a bit smaller than the $200 5 bar version pictured?

http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/pcPump1.asp?c=2&d=1

thats something I never thought about before. Wonder of the flow rate is good enough. Pressure on those things are great though.

i doubt your power supply can put out the amperage that one of thoes things needs... i guess it's worth a shot though

Who says the PSu has to put out the amperage to power that thing? All he has to do is plug it into the power strip with the rest of his computer parts. :rolleyes:

Who says the PSu has to put out the amperage to power that thing? All he has to do is plug it into the power strip with the rest of his computer parts.

that sir is incorrect, all car fuel pumps run on 12VDC

The hydrocool uses, a bosch headlamp power washer pump, which is both noisy, and not particular powerful. The fuel pump type shown also won't give much overall flow rate and is designed for fuel not water, so may corrode or seize internally without the lubrication of fuel passing through it.

Both are not really designed for continuous operation so may prove unreliable if used 24/7

If you wanted to try a fuel pump cheaply to see, almost any new, (last 15 years), petrol (or gas in the us) powered car that has fuel injection will have a pump like pictured. Check out local car breakers and look for specifically at bmw, audi, or something German as it will most likely have one made by bosch.

Last edited:
what might warrant a looking-in-too, is after-marker fuel-pumps for them Hot-Rod V8 runners.... they still run big Holley or Rochi. 4-barrel Carbs. the fuel pumps for them gives more flow rate, at a little less pressure....

.... linkage

note that the one on the left(12-815).... though more expensive, is made for operation with methanol.... that is a very good sign, as it would indicate a high resistance to corrosion. the price is up there, as would be expected for a pump of such quality...

Now at 9PSI You will want to make sure your heater-core is the last thing in the loop, closest to the reservoir. these pumps don't take poopoo, they will pop a pipe if something got clogged

#Rotor said:
what might warrant a looking-in-too, is after-marker fuel-pumps for them Hot-Rod V8 runners.... they still run big Holley or Rochi. 4-barrel Carbs. the fuel pumps for them gives more flow rate, at a little less pressure....

.... linkage

note that the one on the left(12-815).... though more expensive, is made for operation with methanol.... that is a very good sign, as it would indicate a high resistance to corrosion. the price is up there, as would be expected for a pump of such quality...

Now at 9PSI You will want to make sure your heater-core is the last thing in the loop, closest to the reservoir. these pumps don't take poopoo, they will pop a pipe if something got clogged

I thought heatercores were good for 20psi?

so in other words if i can get one of these that does 3 bar, 130 litersph, and for only 2-3amps with no pressure loss at 5 meters head for 50usd would it beat out a swiftech mcp600?

on something say like a whitewater/cascade system?

and its rated for continuous use or "100,000 miles" ?

I still wouldn't recommend that type of pump for water cooling as it's not designed to do it, as such is more likely to fail, I think they get pretty warm in use with the fuel flow through them helping to keep them cool. Continuous use is not the same as 100,000 miles

For me its th'e same. This pump is made to work on terrible conditions, so it could probably run in rig for long time.

Other thing ma ybe as already mentioned - heat generated by this thing...

Concerning the extra pressure, 9 PSI is a nothing for the hoses, fittings, and clamps we use in WC. You will not blow a hose off a barbed, clamped fitting. That being said, the core may be in some danger--as pointed out--and most of these cheapo reservoirs used will blow like Mt Saint Hellens. On the other hand, that would make a cool .MPG! :D

but lets be fair.... that pump, in the article, can hardly be compared with a Holley pump, It's a pulser, the absolute worst kind of pump imaginable. Something that should be put onto a Pinto in order to get the car to drive itself into a lake... :D

That pump is also not made for operation with Methanol.

By the way, Methanol is actually a very good coolant too... but everybody knew that already.... Right???? :D

#Rotor,

Yes, it was not the best fuel pump JoeC tested. But I think all fuel pumps will have the vibration issued to some extent. At least all of the fuel pumps I have ever replaced did. And yes, some were fairly high quality. My 76 Lancia actual had a magdrive fuel pump. I think most fuel pumps are set up to pressurize the fuel line as much as provide fuel flow. But then I am thinking of the olden days when my cars had carbs. I have since moved to fuel injection (and newer cars to of course :) .)

O

What about this ?
pump
Second from thebottom of the page Aquaflow Pump 12V, 6A, MK3 it has some nice specs too bad no prices that thing gives like 45ft head and 15psi which i think is plenty. Only probs could be vibrations/noise and heat. But being 12v could it be run at 7?

but no seriously, can't we manage just a bit more flow on 12v than a swiftech or a iwaki or something?

i mean aquarium pumps seriously do not provide enough pressure

so i take it as that if the thing does not "pulsate" and its got a lifetime warrenty AND rated for 100,000 miles AND good for up to 150 celcius; then its all good right?

cause i'm really starting to like this bosch 077-something that does just that

and its a sealed mag-drive also i think

and did i mention that its also self-priming and costs about the same as the swiftech mcp600?

and most importantly, AT 5 METERS OF HEAD OR SOMETHING IT LOSES ALMOST NO FLOW/PRESSURE

i mean doesn't ANYONE here think its a good idea?

cause all i'm looking for is either a "might work" or WHY "it might not work" rather than a "we dunno cause its for cars"

if all goes well i think i'm going go try one of these things pretty soon, though dimentions kinda look a bit on the BIG side (more like eheim 1250-size)

Back