• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quicktime refusing to not autoload at boot up !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marie1uk

I am running Windows ME. Quicktime refuses to die and will still load in the System Tray. I have already tried to uninstall it using add / remove programs. Anyone got any ideas how i can prevent it from loading it at boot time (I have little enough memory as it is).

Try this...Start | Run | Type msconfig and click OK | "Startup" tab | Scan the list for any entries that contain anything related to QuickTime. If you find any QuickTime entries, try disabling the QuickTime startup component(s) and locate any associated folders identified in Msconfig that you might need to delete to determine whether that solves the problem.

To delete the QuickTime entries, rather than disabling them permanently using the Configuration Utility (which is used primarily for troubleshooting, as I noted above)...Start | Run | Type regedit and click OK | Expand the following branches in the Registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Run and...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Run

Delete any invalid QuickTime entries from the RH pane of both the above Keys. Make sure to export the above Keys before deleting any entries located within, just in case you need to merge the entries back to their respective locations for some reason. :)

Last edited:
Dude ive done all that with XP and this damn thing keeps comming back like a bad case of herpes. I dont know how it keeps getting back into the registry but it does and its ****ing me off. Im about ready to uninstall it, but i know just as soon as i do ill find a files that needs it and have to install it again.

WHy does it insist on loading into my startup?

does this damn program have spyware?

Find where the evil filie that is executing lives and nuke the directory if you can (...obviously not if it's C:\Windows or something :eek: ). Also, make sure that no quicktime stuff is running while you delete the registry entries. Some piece of background software may detect the deletion of it's keys and reinsert them.

JigPu

Back