• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Delete a File

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,

I have a file on my computer that i cant delete. Its a movie trailer i downloaded... Every time I try and delete it it says that it is being used by another porgram... I know for a fact it isnt, cause I even went in safe mode and still it says Its being used by another program.And to make things worse, every time I try and remove that file, my computer becomes really really slow... IS there any way I can remove this file? Any program that will force delete files?
Please Help

Close all open programs...Start | Run | Type taskmgr.exe and click OK. Leave Task Manager open, and click Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK. Leave the Command Prompt window open, go to Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab; "End Process" on "Explorer.exe". Go to the Command Prompt window and navigate to the file that you'd like to delete, and enter del <filename>. Go back to Task Manager | Click "File" | New-->Task | Enter explorer.exe to restart the GUI.

The following MSKB article may also be of some help to you...

You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder :)

Last edited:
im having the same problem, i tried what redduc900 suggested, but the file has a space in the name so it breaks at the space and only uses the first part, is there anyway around this?

Yeah, the filename should be in standard 8.3 format as well as it's usual long file name.

If your file was "The File That Wont Delete.txt", it's 8.3 name would be "TheFil~1.txt" (or "TheFil~2.txt" "TheFil~3.txt" if there are multiple files in the directory that begin with TheFil....).

JigPu

if you can't delete it in windows, go to command prompt and delete it right there

dos will do better job of deleting thing

del filename should work once you've used cd to get to the right directory.

In a command window (Start-->Run-->cmd)

D:\ (or drive containing file to be deleted)

cd "directory/containing/file"

del "file to delete"

That should do it.

Hi, I tried the suggested above way, but when I type "del (filename) it says could not find file.... but its there!!!

ViolaDude said:
Hi, I tried the suggested above way, but when I type "del (filename) it says could not find file.... but its there!!!

let say you have a file "test.txt" at drive C ok?

open command program

c:\ del test.txt and hit enter

if your file has a long name such as bagdgiuououoiuouoo.txt, use this

c:\del *.txt and hit enter key

NOte: if you use *.txt, anything ended with txt will be deleted. Be careful when you use "*.ext*

and problem solved

You could also try this...Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK | At the command prompt, type: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll | Try deleting the movie file again, from the command line as I noted above | After deleting the file, from the command line...type: regsvr32 shmedia.dll :)

Back