• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3B-F can you put a TI4200 in it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

My question is, can you put a GF4 card into an old Asus P3B-F board.

As far as I know the P3B is only a 1x AGP Slot. I know that there were at least 2 diffrent AGP Slots used.

I was going to post this thread in the video card section, but it is more a question for anyone using an Asus P3B-F Specific board.

Capt Fiero:
Your board is a BX chipset based, and it is capable of AGP 2X not AGP 1X, like all BX chipsets. AGP 1X speed is available on LX chipsets, that can only work at 66Mhz bus.

The card GF4 may run at 1x, 2x, 4x and 8x if the card manufacturer obeys the AGP design guides. The extreme power dissipation on this card, may need a 4 pin extra Molex connector, which can be obtained via your power supply. But the card performance will suffer by your CPU power, system RAM and FSB speed.

Check the card manufacturers site for more detailed info about minimum requirements. I don't know the card brand you are thinking of. Therefore, you need to check it yourself...

This is the card.

PNY GF4 TI4200 128MB 8X AGP I won it on this auction

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2764881841&category=40161&rd=1

The machine is my girlfriends. It is a PIII 800 with 512mb of PC133 ram on the P3B-F Motherboard. She has been playing UT2K3 on it with a GF2 MX400 64mb card. This card should be a decent upgrade for her. IT wont be as fast as my machine, but at least she can run above 640x480 res now lol.

Back