• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about machining a NB block.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malph

Registered
I hope some people who have milling experience can help me out.

I have access to a manual vertical milling machine and would like to make a NB and GPU block to go with my existing spiral CPU block. I have a Danner Mag 3 and 1/2" ID tubing.
I plan on using 9mm (3/8") copper stock and mill 6mm deep channels in a pin grid pattern. The channels will be 3mm wide as well as the pins.
Questions:
1) If I am using a 3mm end mill, how much material should I take out per pass? What's the best RPM to run for copper?
2) How best to mill an o-ring groove in the copper. What sort of cutting tool should be used? Is it difficult to control the cut line when travelling in the x and y axis at the same time or would a square pattern work better?
3)If I cut the pattern in a 4inch by 4 inch piece of copper, whats the best way to cut the block to size?

I plan on using holes in the acrylic top to mount it to the board.
I will have to purchase my own tooling so I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks

Back