• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd XP problem, or DSL problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman_sam81

Here's the thing:

Every time I restart my computer, whether I wait for all services to load and start prior to logging in or not, when I connect to the internet (ADSL w/ PPPoE implemented...connecting with Windows Network Connection) Windows seems to just "pause" for a while. The pause can be anywhere from 30 seconds up to like 4 minutes sometimes. I haven't noticed the issue so much if I were to disconnect, then reconnect after Windows has been running for a while already, just the first time I connect. However, if I when I get frustrated waiting for things to finally start working again and turn off my DSL modem (clicking disconnect does nothing when it is stuck like this), about 80% of the time the computer gets "unstuck" and everything that I tried to open while it was stuck suddenly all comes up. However, when I try to reconnect, having interrupted it's siesta, the same thing happens again! If I let it works all the way through whatever is making it pause like that, I am then able to disconnect and reconnect without it going through the same thing.

I haven't the slightest clue as to what could be causing this to happen. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

BTW:

I have Windows Automatic Updating and Norton AV Automatic Updating both disabled, but it makes no difference. Those are the only two programs I have installed with auto update features.

Also, when I reboot my computer and have my DSL modem turned off (or uninstalled the NIC prior to rebooting...trying different drivers) Windows boots up quite a bit faster, as far as the length of time it takes for all services and startup programs to load and start up. When I have the modem on and log into Windows right away, without giving the services time to initialize, it is a good 15 +\- seconds before it is ready to go and all that...if the modem was/is off, this time is reduced to maybe 3 seconds! That's quite a difference, no?

The first thing I would do would be check your logs and see what they say about this. Rclick my computer\manage\event viewer then application and system logs. Also check your cable, drivers for your NIC, make sure that your modem has the proper updated firmware.

if you want to boot fast, do not select "automatically connect at start up"

all you have to do is to select "manually connect" option for your ADSL

i find the same thing with my rig and found the problem was with norton . im running norton internet security with av attached and i cannot connect untill they both fully load

turd:

That was the first thing I checked. Nada! At least nothing that could be related to this.

powerme:

While I, like everybody, do like having a quicker boot; that has very little to do with the issue I am trying to figure out/resolve. Also, I have never had the connection set to connect at startup. At least not since my first two weeks using Windows XP.

deeman:

I found that out as well. However, that ties in with what powerme was talking about, with the faster boot times. The problem I'm having occurs after Norton, F@H, etc. (everything!) has gone through it's startup sequence and the computer is "idling" (with the exception of F@H bangin' away...).

I learned a while back not to attempt to connect to the internet until I am certain that Norton has finished doing all it's startup stuff (reg. scan, critical/system file scan, etc.). Just about every, if not every time I tried to do so, Windows would blatantly show how dumb it really is and give me a popup saying "Dialing SBC Yahoo! DSL". Which would undoubtably stay saying that for a good 8-10 seconds, then inform me that it was unable to establish the connection.

Also, I have had this problem after a fresh format, before Norton had even been installed. Like I said, the only thing(s) that seems like it actually shows a significant/noticeable effect are when I have the modem powered off and the couple times I had the NIC either uninstalled or disabled when I rebooted.

Bah!

I really just haven't had the motivation or drive to go on a diagnosing/troubleshooting frenzy...

I still don't...

I'm thinking installing one of the other NICs I have, which I have used without any issues in the past sounds a bit better than the troubleshooting marathon!

I got this NIC (Microsoft MN-130) not too long after I built this computer for my girlfriend...when we finally traded the "56k" for our DSL connection...this was before I finally finished bringing over the last of my things. I had been living here for a couple months, but without a computer in the house, I didn't see the point in lugging my spare parts and what not over.

Anyways, I'll swap out the NIC right now and report back after a few test-runs. Wish me luck! lol

Hrmmmm....

I installed a D-Link DFE-530TX+...

At first XP insisted on having the Realtek 5139 Family NIC drivers installed and I had a hell of a time finding the stupid card name (DFE 530TX+) on the card at first. I really think it should be mandatory that they specify the real product ID/name very cleary and very easy to find...like RIGHT ON the label...where they always love to have all the other confusing, non-relevant numbers...

Anyways, it still did the freeze crap on me the first two times I booted up. Once with the Realtek drivers and then once with the D-Link drivers. However, with the D-Link drivers installed, not only did it come out of the pause like 2 seconds after I powered off the modem, but I was able to reconnect instantly, which was never the case before... I always had to keep trying and wait until I didn't get the window saying it was trying to friggin dial the connection.

I'm gonna give this one a try for a couple days. If it ticks me off like the Microsoft card did, I'll try putting in my old faithful (Kingston KNE111TX). If that doesn't work...I'll be really POd...and try using my other, older DSL modem.

This is the part of computers that really upset the hell out of me! Having to troubleshoot some lame, tiny little program is easy and even fun, usually...but Windows is a whole other story. It never seems to work the way I want it to, despite all my friends and family running flawlessly...ARGH!

Back