• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast System Clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafa

I did a search on the forums for "system clock" which yielded 2700 results, the first 5 pages of which did not address this issue, nonetheless, I must appologze if this has been covered before:

I'm running Windows XP on the machine shown in the sig. Rock solid, no problems, except...the system clock now gains about 20 minutes per day. Before overclocking, the system clock kept perfect time. Any ideas?

The BIOS clock might be ahead 20 minutes or so and changes the windows clock everytime you restart. Get the BIOS clock at the correct time and then set your windows clock, it should work after that. At least thats what fixed it for me. Good luck!

Matt

use "automatically synchronize with an internet time server" in "date and time properties"

this will keep your computer time accurate all the time.

default setting is updates every 7 days BUT mine is every 1 hour.

i am never late for work or school :)

Right. Funny enough, the bios clock is correct and maintains correct time. I'm currently using atomic clock synch to keep the clock accurate, but thought it odd that I should have to resort to this strategy. I guess that I'm not alone on this, based on powerme's post.

That's REALLY weird. Windows bases it's clock off the BIOS. When you boot the computer, it reads the time and date off your BIOS and uses these as seed values for it's own clock. Then, it just uses the same clock the BIOS uses to count away all the seconds.

There have been quite a few people it seems who's clocks run very fast... Try replacing your CMOS battery, I think it's helped in a few cases...

JigPu

I agree that it is REALLY wierd, JugPu. As a systems builder servicing many businesses and agencies here, I must admit it's a first. The cmos bat is fine, already checked it with a multimeter. Perhaps its the combination of solar flares and lunar eclipses at the height of the rainy season ;)

Try this...Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK | Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each...

net stop w32time
w32tm.exe /unregister
w32tm.exe /register
net start w32time

...(note the spellings of w32tm and w32time in different commands). I would recommend creating a System Restore point first, before running the above commands. :)

The crystals on the MB that regulate the clock are notoriously inaccurate. Sometimes the battery is the culprit, but other times it's just the fact that the onboard clock sucks. Using the atomic clock sync tool is probably your best bet.

heh I was just going to post the exact same problem! It's really odd though, at 230 FSB it's not an issue, but at 220 it is....Even with atomic clock sync it only syncs every day, which isn't enough! ever 1 hour it looses about 40 seconds! I guess i'll never be late though.

Jeez... I guess I should be happy with my mobo then :) A year old, and accurate to 3 seconds each month :D

JigPu

Back