• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7-E no go. Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blindmonkey

CRAP I think i fried my mobo

Sorry if This post is really long but please read my story. I have a big problem and I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone. Thanks.

I just finished building my system:
Abit IS7-E
Intel P4 2.4c
Corsair ddr3700 1gb TwinX
Radeon 9800 Pro all in wonder
Audigy 2 Platinum
Pioneer A06
Lite-On 52x24x52x
Western Digital 200gb w/ 8mb cache

I had my cpu overclocked to 2.7ghz to match the speed of the 3700 ram with the ratio at 1:1, and my system ran rock solid.

Anyways, Last night I went to move my computer under my desk a little more and all of a sudden I got this rapid continuous beeping from the system speaker. I didn't think much of it because it was late and as soon as I stopped pushing it the beeping stopped. Nothing seemed wrong the the computer. Neither Windows any apps i had open locked up. and the computer continuted to run fine. Later on I tried moving the computer again and I got the beeping again. I stopped pushing it and tried to find the source of the problem, and them after pushing around at the case a little I noticed that when I pushed the plastic front case panel there was beeping, and when i pulled the plastic panel towad me a little the beeping stopped. As I said, it was late and I didn't feel like fixing the problem at the time. Well I when to sleep leaving the computer on overnight and when morning came I woke up and heard that awful beeping again. I was half awake so from my bed I reached for the power switch and held it down until the computer turned off...only the computer didn't turn off. The computer's power went off for a split second and turned back on even while I was holding the power switch down.

I fell back asleep not really thinking much about it. When I woke up again the computer was on, although not beeping, there was nothing on the screen, so I tried restarting the computer and I knew something was wrong because I didn't hear the single "beep" I usually hear when I start up my computer, and the monitor sat there saying it wasn't connected to anything, when in fact it was. I immediately ripped off the front plastic panel to reveal the power switch wires and fiddled with them. No beeping. I then put the plastic panel back on and tried pushing the computer again. No beeping. I tried to start the computer again but there was still nothing showing up on the screen. No POST, no nothing. I though that there might be something wrong with the mobo not recognizing the components, but I didn't get any sequence of beeps when I turned the power on. This was quite puzzling.

My immediate thought was that the problem was with the power switch, so I found an old power switch from some old system I had and plugged it in. Same problem. No posts or beeps, and when I held the button down to turn the pc off it turned the computer back on after a split second.

At this point I was getting fustrated so I started unplugging everything, replugging everything and swapping parts. I reinserted the CPU. Nothing. I reinserted the memory and tried other memory. Nothing. I reinserted my Radeon, making sure the power connector was plugged in, and I also tried putting in a Geforce4mx. Nothing. I tried using another PSU. Nothing. I tried all the old components plugged in at once. Still nothing. I did notice that when my cdrom was plugged into the ide cable the activity light remained on the tray wouldn't open, so I ended trying all different components with only the hard drive installed. I also tried with only the videocard, cpu, and memory. Heck, I even tried resetting the CMOS. Still a big black nothing.

The only two suspects left are the CPU and the Motherboard. I highly suspect the motherboard is to blame because of the funny power switch and cdrom behavior. As of now I get Lights, camera, but no action. Please let me know what you think. If I have assurance that the problem lies within the mobo I'll call abit to RMA or get a new one, but right now I'm angry and confused. Thanks.

-Greg

Last edited:
Three things could of caused the alarm to go off depending on how you had things set in the BIOS: CPU fan failure, high temp, high voltage. You can probably eliminate the high voltage since you were up and running. Sounds like you had a loose connection on the CPU fan and moving the computer caused it to go off. Reconnect the fan and try clearing the CMOS with the jumper (read in the manual how to do that). Maybe it'll start up again at default speed. The P-4 is supposed to thermal throttle if the temps get too hot, but there is always the possibility that it got partly damaged due to excessive heat.

Back