• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Not too sure where this one should go...
I've got a .avi movie, and i'm trying to take some screenshots from it, but i'm having problems.

Sometimes i do a printscreen and when i do a paste, you can see the Windows Media Player inferface but NOT the movie. When i take the printscreen in fullscreen, it pastes as a smallscreen version. Cutting out the middly bit (in the small screen version; this is the actial movie part) and attempting to paste it just pastes the top corner of the window (I.e. it's still the full screen screenshot).

If I try to save this file, when i re-open WMP is there, but the movie itself has gone.

Basically there is no-way i can screenshot the movie. Printscreening it in small screen doesn't work at all, and in full screen it comes out at small screen and doesn't save properly.

I have looked into a program called Hypersnap-DX as well, and i get the same problem.

Why is it doing this? I need these screenshots - please help..

Thanks, A24 :)

EDIT: Just tried pasting into Word, same problem :( Only this time, it cut about 1/4 of the screen off the left side, refuses to put it full screen, and goes all black when i re-open the file :(

Last edited:
Try disabling overlays. Usually that's the problem when a program can't seem to printscreen correctly.

In WMP go to the Tools menu and click options. Go to the performance tab. Click the Advanced button under Video Acceleration. Uncheck the Use Overlays option. Restart WMP (to make sure the setting takes effect), and printscreen should work.

If you want to see something really trippy, do a printscreen with overlays still enabled, and then paste into paint or something. Make sure that WMP is behind the window you pasted into (instead of minimized) and you should see the movie playing along in the app you pasted into :D
JigPu

Works perfect, thank you :)
I may try that moving paint thingy sometime, when i have more time :D

I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge of people in these forums, and the speed of replies that I get :)
Reminds me of why i'm here and not at some "other" forums ;)

Last edited:
Another quick question if i may,

I wish to sut out part of the movie - either as just the music or the actial movie as well, what can i use to take a part out and save it as another file?

How do i get Windows movie maker to do this? It refuses to open the avi file :(

Back