• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

I have a danner mag 2 and get'n some EMI affecting my monitor.. now this may be a stupid question but can the emi feild wipe my hard drive, anyone have any simmilar problems have any suggestions.. tin foil i've tried.. but same results

If your HDD was having EMI problems then you would first notice it as data corruption. If none of your data is corrupting then either it isn't haveing a problem or it's error correction/detection is working.

Most devices have a lot better error correction than they used to and EMI shouldn't be a problem in most cases from what I have heard on the forums.

How much room do you have around your pump? I have heard that solving interference problems from your pump is as easy as just putting a coffee can over it - a more elegant solution could be created for the long term though if you wanted.

Try moving your monitor farther away fro the pump. I was getting some EMI from my Via 1300 the other day, which struck me as odd since I have had this system for over a month and never noticed it before. I had reorganized my work area the night before and ended up with my PC about 12 inches closer to my monitor. I moved it back to where it had been and no more EMI.

I guess it doesn't affect hard drives. My drives must be constantly exposed to the EMI since they are right next to the pump in the case.

well that's good to know, was get'n kinda wooried there cause i was set on going internal, hopefully i'll get some more post's with similar answers..Mabey it's just the phosphorus in monitors that is just so sensitive to that kinda thing.. only problem is i have to set my pump about 2 1/2 ft away to get no reaction.

i dont have a whole lot of room directly around them pump unless i change the way my setup will be but not a whole lot of options because im opting for a big heater core.. i just took a peice of metal though and i know that hard drives will only loose data with a real strong magnetic field and the pump didnt pull the peice of metal till it was like 1 inch away from it and it was just barley pulling on it

update! i had my refresh rate on 72 htz, change to 70, the response got less. changed to 60, woosh , no more flicker from the pump... kinda wierd,, i can actually hold it right next to teh monitor now and it just slightly changes color from the small mag field.

repilce said:
update! i had my refresh rate on 72 htz, change to 70, the response got less. changed to 60, woosh , no more flicker from the pump... kinda wierd,, i can actually hold it right next to teh monitor now and it just slightly changes color from the small mag field.

That's common. At a 60 Hz refresh rate, the pump's field is in sync with the refresh and you don't see the wavering effect.

You won't typically feel the magnetic field by putting a piece of steel near the pump because the magnetic field would be alternately pushing and pulling the steel at a 60 Hz rate. A vibration (maybe) is the only thing you are likely to feel. If the metal wasn't steel (or something else ferromagnetic) you wouldn't feel anything.

If you don't want to stay at a 60 Hz refresh rate, and you can't move the pump away from the monitor, wrapping a steel shield around the pump is about the only practical solution. (The aforementioned coffee can.)

So has anyone else here ever handled one of the rare-earth magnets that they use in the electro-magnetic hard drive actuator heads that sit just 5mm away from the disk surface?

Get one from a low-latency SCSI drive and stick it onto a piece of steel, and then spend the next 5 minutes figuring out how to pull it off again.

...and to think, magnets this strong with strong electomagnetic fields fluxing all about them to move the disk heads about rapidly all sit just 5mm from the drive platters where the data is stored.

I had/have EMI problems with my danner mag3. I found it to be related to the difference between the refresh rate of my monitor and 60Hz field from the pump. The faster your refresh rate, the less the wobble should be. If you can stand it, setting your refresh rate to 60 Hz will make the wobble seem to go entirely away. I have had no trouble with my hard drive.

Oops! I didn't read all the way down the thread before posting that. Looks like you already figured that out.

I had a problem with EMI. I just fixed it after reading this.

I had just recently wired a new circuit in my house and I notcied when my system was plugged into the socket the monitor was very wavy as if it was exposed to EMI.

coincidently I had the sytem place underneath my circuit breaker so I assumed I was getting the EMI from there.I was Wrong.

Using a powerbar with wirefault detection light, I discovered I had reveresed the polarity by wiring one of the outlets backwards.

Why do you care?

You might run into the same problem. It doesnt hurt to check you outlets :)

So has anyone else here ever handled one of the rare-earth magnets that they use in the electro-magnetic hard drive actuator heads that sit just 5mm away from the disk surface?

yeh i actually took an old HD apart once and took the two magnet's in my hand. held them slighly horizontal and when i got about 3 inches away from each other they flew out of my hands smaking together and crashing both into lot's of peices, they are pretty powerful!

Back