• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Board recomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Just aquired a 2.53Ghz P-4 533Mhz processor...I know it is kind of old hat but what would be a good mobo for it???

Depends on your budget and what features you want. I'd get one of the newer dual channel DDR mobos that support 800 bus COUs so that you have great memory bandwidth and a nice upgrade path. I'm assuming you're on a limited budget or else you would not of got a 2.53, so maybe look at the Abit IS7-E mobo, they are only about $90 at newegg.com. It has dual channel RAM, USB 2.0, firewire, SATA, RAID, 8X AGP, LAN, sound, etc.

I traded him some parts and ended up with the processor...He also has a gig of RD ram that I can get for 512megs of DDR...The Abit board sounds good, I just bought a NF7-S to replace my Soltek SL75MRN and it is a great board...Is that a decent processor or a piece of junk that I should sell?

The 2.53 ain't bad... a lot of the later ones would do 3+ gig. I would not recommend RDRAM nowadays, it's a "has been". However if you must get a RDRAM mobo, the Abit TH7-II is the one to have.

Hookem,
I'll agree with batboy about the TH7II mobo. If your stuck(?) with RDRAM it's a really nice board. I'm running a P4 1.6A on a TH7II-R & have had it as high as 165FSB (2.64GHz). To run that fast you have to run the memory @ 3/4 speed, but you'll still have decent bandwidth(~3500 in SiSoft Sandra Mem bench). My normal everyday settings are FSB @ 140(2.24GHz), mem @1:1(Sandra~3500) & I have no probs with it. You can find TH7II's on Ebay real cheap. If you're lucky, your RDRAM will be Samsung, which overclocks very nicely. I have 512MB(2x256) of Samsung PC800 & it will run up to about 142-143FSB. About the only problems with this board is the Cold Boot issuewhich is cured by flashing the BIOS or not running the AGP fix option. There is a WHOLE BUNCH of info on this board in the TH7 stickies here at O/C. Good luck! -Dave

Back