• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

creating a restoration partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronin1967

Not sure if this is possible, but I would like some thoughts...

I find that I am frequently formatting and reinstalling my OS and programs. I like to keep a clean smooth running machine but sometimes I test a lot of software and while I do uninstall the software I am of the school that is never all really gone unless you format and reload. I have created a self install version of my OS but still have to go through loading updates and drivers and programs. In my office we use IBM PC's and they have a compressed spare partition that hold all the OS, like a recovery CD but on a seperate partition. I wonder if I could create the same thing on my home PC. Then when I need to clean house I just run the partition and it formats and places a an image.

Any thoughts guys and girls?

srs said:
Why not just use something like Norton Ghost?

this program is very slow BUT if you want super FAST backup and restore, drive image 7 is your choice

Drive Image works great for me. I make an image of a fresh install on a seperate partition and on CDs in case the HDD dies.

I use Norton Ghost Corporate and it is NOT slow.
I can ghost a full XP Pro and Office Pro system in about 5 Minutes... (HD to HD) (about 15Min over a network)

That seems pretty fast to me...

I ended up using some software called Acronis True Image. I created a small partiton on my Primary HDD(about 5 Gigs). Then I installed my OS and all the rest of my basic stuff. Then I boot to the Acronis CD and create the image file and save it on the partition. Then when I need to restore, I run the Acronis CD, it formats the partition and loads the image in under 10 minutes.

I second the Drive Image 7 ,You can do backup in windows environment,last time I was on the internet during backup process ,and it allow You to backup over the LAN

Back