• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp activation upgrade ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perinator

Registered
Hi all,

Im new to oc-ing and have a question about xp home.

I currently have a emachine system that has a p4 1.6 cpu. The mobo is a dublin mobo and is basically a 133 system which included xp home.

I am upgrading to a 2800+ cpu, MSI kt6 mobo and 512 of corsair 3200 memory but keeping the hard drive and video card the same.

My ? is, with upgrading these components, I understand that I would need to re-activate xp home. Is it possible to use the activation code that came with the emachine that Im upgrading with from the p4 system? or would i need to purchase another version of xp?

I do have an upgrade version of xp home on cd for a different computer so could i purchase a COA from one of the resellers out there if i have to purchase another copy of xp home?

Is there a check list to follow when doing an upgrade like this or a guide line to follow involving xp?

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated

as long as you have the windows disk you should be able to install... for home edition (for me at least) i could reactivate it as many times as i wanted, but for pro, i had to call microsoft. They just make me read a number to them that comes up and they gave me a new code.

yeah i got xp pro on my bussiness machine.. and after a few reformatts etc.. it tells me i need to reactivate it.. i think the magic number is 5 times before the activation is expired.. have to phone and problem solved... i dont have this kinda problem with slackware9.1.. as a matter of fact slackware wants me to share..

don't try to activate windows IMMEDIATELY.

do that after you have done everything else and everything else is what you want.

don't forget to back up. you don't have to call MS to activate

Back