• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does anyone have danger dens guide to hooking up a water cooling kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
as topic says, i have this kit i got from neomoss or something and he said that the danger den guide is all i need to hook it up right,, unfortunatly they dont post it anymore that i saw, i have a wb like a evo3, and a gpu from danger den for ati, with an eheim water pump.. and tygon tubing, i have the fittings and i believe everything i need, all i need are the directions..for mounting

Here is my method for mounting wateblocks:
  • Mount studs through motherboard holes. I use 6-32 threaded rod, cut to about 3.5" long.
  • Determine your spring constant, either by looking at spring specs or measuring. For this example, assume my springs are 4 lbs./in. (Note: I actually use 19 lb./in. springs.)
  • Determine how much clamping force you want, then divide that number by 4. I use 24 pounds. AMD specs call for a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 24 pounds, so in my case that is 6 pounds per spring to get the maximum recommended clamping force. (maximum clamping force is desired for least resistance across TIM).
  • Determine how much you will need to compress each spring to achieve the proper clamping force. To do this, use the fact that F=KX, or X=F/K. (F=force, K=spring constant, X=distance). For example, X=6 (lbs)/4 (lbs/in.)= 1.5 inches needed to be compressed.
  • Determine how many revolutions of the nut you will need to achieve your displacement. For my case, 1.5 (in.)* 32 (threads/in.) = 48 threads.
  • Always tighten nuts that are diagonal from each other at the same time. I tighten the first set 4 revolutions , then switch to the other diagonal.

Notes:

This should be done with the motherboard lying flat.

It is not necessary to use calipers/dial indicators to measure spring deflection. Assuming you are accurate to 1/4 of a turn, you should be able to get to within 1/128", which is close enough.

I mark my nuts with an index line so I can easily count revolutions.

When installing, I first run all nuts down until they just touch the surface of the spring, but be careful not to compress any spring before all "slack" has been taken up.

It is VERY important to note that these equations only work while the spring is not fully compressed. Once the spring is fully compressed, you are getting MUCH more clamping force than K*X.

Basically, that's how you mount the waterblock. You'll want to use clamps @ all fittings, and test the entire system for leaks before turning on your computer.

Although I don't have a DD GPU waterblock, if you need help mounting it I'm sure I can help there, too. Let us know how it goes.

well the cpu block is like a white water or evo3, so it doesnt even fit on the p4 socket, i need to find an adapter..

Back