• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp Pro Freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtrmquestionx

Ok well I just installed xp pro on my computer because I was able to get it free because of the MSDN alliance. Anyways, sometimes the desktop freezes and I can't get back to it. I can't open my computer, control panel or anything through the start menu, but I can open programs. I am also able to open my computer through the quick launch and everything else in the quick launch. When this happens I ussually have Explorer 6.0 open, Msn Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, and Trillian 0.74 w/ patch F. I am running 2.4ghz p4 (not overclocked) w/ 512mb of ram. Thanks for you help.

You don't get any error messages? Make sure your screensavers are disabled. I poked around a bit looking for solutions and thats about all I came up with. Did you do an upgrade install? If so, is there a device that is not compatible or maybe a driver conflict? Good luck!

Matt

Yeah I have my screen saver disabled. Hmmm I did a windows update a while ago. Which is because 5 minutes after connecting to the internet I got the first virus that exploited holes in microsoft (the name has slipped my mind) anyways other than that I have just installed webboard which is a small chess game that isn't open when this happens. Perhaps one of the windows updates is causing this?

xtrmquestionx said:
Yeah I have my screen saver disabled. Hmmm I did a windows update a while ago. Which is because 5 minutes after connecting to the internet I got the first virus that exploited holes in microsoft (the name has slipped my mind) anyways other than that I have just installed webboard which is a small chess game that isn't open when this happens. Perhaps one of the windows updates is causing this?

Its possible, not likely though. It could also be spyware...try using ad-aware and maybe that will clear it up.

Matt

Yeah I use that. Nothing really big just some cookies other than that nothing. Maybe something is up with Internet Explorer? hmmm I dunno this is annoying though I like to look at my desktop even though I never use the thing lol.

xtrmquestionx said:
Maybe something is up with Internet Explorer?

Does it only happen while using IE? Its very possible that its a problem with IE. I always have problems with IE. One time it was so bad I had to switch browsers, luckily I reformated so its fine.

Matt

Hmmm Im thinking it does only happen with IE. The last few times IE has froze which caused me to Ctrl alt del and kill it. Then my desktop doesn't work.

xtrmquestionx said:
Hmmm Im thinking it does only happen with IE. The last few times IE has froze which caused me to Ctrl alt del and kill it. Then my desktop doesn't work.

Sounds like IE then. Try and get all the IE updates and make sure you have the lastest version. If that dosen't work then uninstall and reinstall. Get back to me and let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Matt

In addition to Matt's suggestions, if you've installed any additional toolbars to IE...i.e. the Genieknows.com toolbar, then I would suggest uninstalling it. Some of these add-on toolbars, especially like the one I mentioned, are notorious for hogging system resources. Also, you didn't mention if you've run a virus scan since the problems started...if not, then I would strongly suggest it.

I would also suggest running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and hit OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click the error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

In addition to using Ad-Aware, I would also suggest running SpyBot Search & Destroy, which you can download here...

http://www.safer-networking.org/...and Hijack This, which can be downloaded from MajorGeeks here...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Also, the following site may be of some additional help to you...

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites :)

Last edited:
Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2600.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

That seems to be my problem.

mdcomp said:
Sounds like IE then. Try and get all the IE updates and make sure you have the lastest version. If that dosen't work then uninstall and reinstall. Get back to me and let me know how it goes.

Have you tried what I suggested above yet? If not, please do. It may help. Also, I would agree with what redduc900 said, please try what he says also for he is the guru of windows! Good luck!

Matt

Back